What Movies Did You Watch in March 2024?

so went and saw it at Celina( great seats by the way!!) never saw the first one( I assume there was a Dune 1), so I was kinda clueless sometimes on who they were talking about. But did enjoy it, great action, acting good... but probably shoould have watched the first one...

Yes you definitely should watch the first one first lol.

American Ultra (2015) 3.5/8 Jesse Eisenberg plays a stoner working at a convenience store, who ends up being targeted, along with his girlfriend (Kristen Stewart) by an elite CIA team of assassins. Something "awakens" in him and the rest of the movie is him battling the assassins and trying to save Stewart. Movie had potential but just didn't pull it off. Great cast, but Eisenberg just doesn't put off those action star vibes.

Drive (2022)

Horror: A woman suspects that a guy that is following her in a Jeep is the serial killer that has been in the news. ... 5.0/8

American Ultra (2015) 3.5/8 Jesse Eisenberg plays a stoner working at a convenience store, who ends up being targeted, along with his girlfriend (Kristen Stewart) by an elite CIA team of assassins. Something "awakens" in him and the rest of the movie is him battling the assassins and trying to save Stewart. Movie had potential but just didn't pull it off. Great cast, but Eisenberg just doesn't put off those action star vibes.

I think they went for the whole, “the best covert assassin Is someone who looks nothing like an assassin” route, with mixed success.

Kuroneko (Japan-1968)

Horror: Mother and daughter in law seek revenge on Samurai who done them wrong. Not a real fan of this type of Japanese horror but the story was strong..... 4.0/8

Road House (2024)- Remake of the 1989 movie that starred Patrick Swayze as a bouncer brought in to clean up a night club in a corrupt town. This one stars Jake Gyllenhall and is an equally predictable violence fest. They even threw in Connor McGregor in his acting debut which made me like the movie less as I am not a fan. Occasionally amusing, wildly cheesy and predictable, but I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane. 4/8.

Road House: 4.25/8

Pretty good at times, too many times not. Could have been so much more.

As some one else said, Connor McGregor was miscast. This should not have been his acting debut, and he got far too many lines of dialogue for a guy who can barely speak coherent English. And while I like Billy Magnusson as an actor, he was not the right fit as the lead villain. He’s at his best in a comedic role.

Overall just not nearly enough character development for anyone outside of Gyllenhall’s character.

This could have been really good with a beefed up script and say Tom Hardy in the McGregor role.

Available on Prime Video.

A few days ago I started watching Amsterdam on MAX. Got tired and was drifting off so I stopped it almost 2 hours in with about 30 minutes to go. Next day went to finish watching it and it was gone. MAX gave no warning of it leaving and being in the middle of the month it was a bit shocking...... this is twice something like this has happened. MAX has to be one of the worst apps I have had. HBOMAX was fine, no issues.... MAX.... tons of issues with the app. Once this latest sale offer ends I am likely done.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - 5/8

Pretty good though not quite as good as Afterlife. That said it wasn’t far off from being great, it just could have used a little more beef to it and there were also some jokes that didn’t land or should have just been removed for a slightly more serious tone. Kunal Nanjiani was one of the parts that needed more beef for how important he ended up being. There was a tiny subplot with Slimer that I mostly didn’t feel was needed but it did have a satisfying payoff. It was nice to see Slimer actually have a purpose for once. A couple nice nods to the original. Bill Murray and Annie Potts both felt forced into the script.

Interesting that Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis both had writing credits, which makes me wonder how much of the script was from the unmade Ghosbusters 3 script from the 90’s that never got made because Bill Murray wouldn’t sign on.

Pretty bummed they were sold out of the popcorn buckets. Possibly the best one I’ve ever seen released. Alas, they had already moved on to Godzilla x Kong merch.

IMG_6136.png

Poor Things (2023)- this is a highly regarded yet wildly weird movie. The basic premise of the plot is that a pregnant woman commits suicide and a mad Victorian scientist rescues her and implants the brain of her fetus in to her. Her brain's limited development is well behind her physical development and adventures ensue including plenty of "furious jumping." As the movie goes on her brain develops more and more. Weird damn movie but entertaining. Not the type of movie I usually like but I actually enjoyed it. Emma Stone won an Oscar for her performance. 6.5/8.

Robocop 3 (1993) ... 3.0/8

This one missed..... the villains of the first two stick out with this one not so much........

Road House: 4.25/8

Pretty good at times, too many times not. Could have been so much more.

As some one else said, Connor McGregor was miscast. This should not have been his acting debut, and he got far too many lines of dialogue for a guy who can barely speak coherent English. And while I like Billy Magnusson as an actor, he was not the right fit as the lead villain. He’s at his best in a comedic role.

Overall just not nearly enough character development for anyone outside of Gyllenhall’s character.

This could have been really good with a beefed up script and say Tom Hardy in the McGregor role.

Available on Prime Video.

watched it last night, it was a good watch and taking a break from watching NCAA basketball for a few hours....LOL!!!

Yes you definitely should watch the first one first lol.r
Been on TBS or TNT a lot lately. 3.5 hours w/commercials, iirc. Will watch one day when I can invest that much time, perhaps a bad weather day.

Love Story (1970) - Ali McGraw, Ryan O'Neal, Ali McGraw. Sometimes, you just have to watch this mushy stuff. Remembered ending, but not the journey.

Cumulative 7/8.

Been on TBS or TNT a lot lately. 3.5 hours w/commercials, iirc. Will watch one day when I can invest that much time, perhaps a bad weather day.

Love Story (1970) - Ali McGraw, Ryan O'Neal, Ali McGraw. Sometimes, you just have to watch this mushy stuff. Remembered ending, but not the journey.

Cumulative 7/8.
Over 50 years later and everyone still remembers the line: "Love means never having to say you're sorry." BS line though in real life, IMO. See how long your marriage (or sex life) would last if you never apologized to your wife.

EagleGuy, how about "Brian's Song" for a seventies era "guy-cry" flick?

Arthur the King Another 'Based on a True Story' film about an adventure racer (Mark Wahlberg) who befriends a stray dog in the middle of their race. Pretty formulatic and predictable, but a nice feel good story regardless. 6/8

Balada triste de trompeta (Spain-2010)

Dark Comedy/Horror: "The Last Circus" ... A sad clown falls for the woman of an abusive clown. Very bizarre movie that bends genres... 5.0/8

Napolean (2023)

A real snooze fest. Thought Phoenix would be a lot better but he seemed to kind of mail this one in Josephine wasn't terribly interesting either. Even the battle seens were kind of campy and silly. Big fan of french history so I was really hoping this would knock it out of the park. Fell asleep and finished it the next day.

2.5/8

Duel (1971)

90 minutes worth of cat and mouse road rage (without the gun) through the California desert highways as some faceless driver of a rusty old Peterbilt tanker tries to kill Dennis Weaver who's tooling around in his Plymouth Valiant.

We have a winner and it's over. Finally!!!

I prefer Weaver as Deputy Marshall Sam McCloud.

Duel (1971)

90 minutes worth of cat and mouse road rage (without the gun) through the California desert highways as some faceless driver of a rusty old Peterbilt tanker tries to kill Dennis Weaver who's tooling around in his Plymouth Valiant.

Early, early Spielberg.

Over 50 years later and everyone still remembers the line: "Love means never having to say you're sorry." BS line though in real life, IMO. See how long your marriage (or sex life) would last if you never apologized to your wife.

EagleGuy, how about "Brian's Song" for a seventies era "guy-cry" flick?
^ Every year for the rest of your life! lol

Yeah, that's pretty tough. Putting a little smile on it...

Duel (1971)

Duel was great..... if you just recently watched this on TCM then you got the extended version. Not sure how much longer it was.

Southern Comfort- 1981- 6.5/8. wild movie on Prime. Basically a Louisiana National Guard unit gets lost in the Bayou and are hunted by some backwoods Cajuns. Directed by the same guy who did 48 HRs and The Warriors

Godzilla X Kong something something empire (2024)

Big silly sensory overload that jumps the shark 100 times over. The monster romps are alright. Human characters hilariously only serve as exposition dumps. It was fine.

4.5/8

Godzilla X Kong something something empire (2024)

Big silly sensory overload that jumps the shark 100 times over. The monster romps are alright. Human characters hilariously only serve as exposition dumps. It was fine.

4.5/8

Pretty much the consensus. A lot of great monster fights, but light on plot and the humans doing anything.

Late Night With The Devil (2024) 7/8 A late night talk show host in the 70's tries to save the ratings and his job with a spooky Halloween special that includes a young girl from a satanic cult that is possessed by a demon. Found footage type film, but not the camcorder type, but a found recording of the show with some backstage footage. The girl who played the possessed Lilly was great. Definitely worth a watch if you're into horror movies.