URSULINE & MOONEY PROJECTIONS/DISCUSSIONS 2024

So they will probably be around 520 students. I remember Ursuline stating that they could absorb mooney, but I don’t see the room to gain another 200-300 people. Might have to build another academic building if they were to merge.

Any indication on how big the incoming freshmen football class is?
I dont know the number of freshmen coning out for football. The overall numbers for the team are down slightly from last year. Probably in 65-68 range I believe.

Fun fact, this is the second year in a row that "dying" Ursuline has maxed out its capacity for the incoming freshman class. Four straight years of growth in fact......it sure is sad to see them dwindling away.
Really? Max capacity? Are you saying UHS is at some of its largest enrollment figures in school history?

Really? Max capacity? Are you saying UHS is at some of its largest enrollment figures in school history?
Not even close to what it used to be but It most likely is close to capacity, because ‘capacity’ is relative to the school’s current state. physically it isn’t the same school as it used to be. There are fewer classrooms and far more classes offered (including the AP classes) So to maintain an appropriate student to teacher ratio, as well as fund many programs such as sports and other extracurricular activities they probably have a much lower capacity than say 1980 Ursuline. Not that Ursuline wouldn’t love more students, but they would rather maintain a good environment for the kids rather then cram kids into class rooms and give a 30:1 ratio. I left in 2017 and it was pretty crowded and my class only had like 100 kids

They need more classrooms. if they want to increase the enrollment by 250 kids and keep the variety of classes offered that is.

don't. feed, the. trolls.
The current state of Ursuline is very optimistic. The story is not the same with Mooney who has its own issues to deal with from the state of the football program to the war zone the school is located in. It has lost alot of the luster it had back in the day. The idea of combining is coming from their demise.

The Wick Ave building has downsized over the years, but some (not all) of those spaces could be repurposed again as classrooms. There is still plenty of room in the building, and of course not every single student from Mooney would transfer to the U. The larger student body would mean additional revenue. Don't forget about the new building that they are planning at the convent on Bryson Street. I am sure that this new building is being designed with an eye toward Mooney eventually closing. I hate to see the city lose another iconic part of its history, but it is hard to imagine that the tide will dramatically turn on the south side.

Younger Irish alumni likey don't realize just how many students used to pack the Wick Ave building back in the day. It is hard to believe but during a typical pep rally (not the Mooney rally), there more Ursuline students packed into the gym than the ENTIRE attendance of today's Ursuline-Mooney basketball games with both sides students and fans combined.

Last edited:
The Wick Ave building has downsized over the years, but some (not all) of those spaces could be repurposed again as classrooms. There is still plenty of room in the building, and of course not every single student from Mooney would transfer to the U. The larger student body would mean additional revenue. Don't forget about the new building that they are planning at the convent on Bryson Street. I am sure that this new building is being designed with an eye toward Mooney eventually closing. I hate to see the city lose another iconic part of its history, but it is hard to imagine that the tide will dramatically turn on the south side.

Younger Irish alumni likey don't realize just how many students used to pack the Wick Ave building back in the day. It is hard to believe but during a typical pep rally (not the Mooney rally), there more Ursuline students packed into the gym than the ENTIRE attendance of today's Ursuline-Mooney basketball games with both sides students and fans combined.
The class of '68 was the largest in Ursuline history --- nearly 600. That year the combined enrollment at Erie & Bryson was around 3,300+. Today it's around 800. The '67 Holy War saw 17,000 fans jam into South stadium.

The class of '68 was the largest in Ursuline history --- nearly 600. That year the combined enrollment at Erie & Bryson was around 3,300+. Today it's around 800. The '67 Holy War saw 17,000 fans jam into South stadium.
Holy smokes…no pun intended…I had no idea.

Holy smokes…no pun intended…I had no idea.
We were sometimes 3 to a locker. Also there were 8 priests and 30 Ursuline sisters on the faculty. Tuition was around $200.00 (and people bulked!). Mooney was similar in number of Diocesan priests and nuns but they had a wide variety of orders: Dominicans, Ursulines, Notre Dames, Humility of Mary, Franciscans, etc. The Mooney priests house was the former convent at Sacred Heart Church on Jackson Street (gasp! Ursuline territory). The Diocesan priests at UHS lived in a house on Bryson. Ursuline's Ursulines lived in a stately mansion next to the school that was torn down in '67 and replaced with what is there now. I nearly failed Math because I was distracted and watched the tear down from my classroom window and didn't concentrate (ADD as I am). Ursuline students were required to purchase a book of home football game tickets the first day of school and girls had to wear skirts at football games. Boundaries between the two schools were strictly enforced by the Diocese --- north of the Mahoning to Ursuline, south of the Mahoning to Mooney. An amazing and very different world. Great changes come when your town loses over 100,000 people.