Should the NBA shorten the season?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Should there be fewer games over a shorter period of time or is the season just right?

Yes, there’s no reason for the season to be 9 months. MLB should also shorten their season, Football is king in the fall.

This is all fictitious because when you have a product that's driven by games on television, selling of ads, etc. There will never be less games. The issue isn't the number of games, it's the lack of need to win a certain numer of game to make the playoffs. Every time you add playoff teams, you weaken the regular season. This is my argument on expanding the college football playoffs. Those games in September and October are HUGE because for most programs if you lose a game, you're national championship hopes are over.
So for the NBA, nearly half of the teams make the playoffs. That needs to be cut back to 4 teams per conference. That ensures that each regular season game is more important, so sitting stars becomes less attractive.
Now the likelyhood of cutting playoff teams is nonsense too becasue those games are sold and packaged, so by the same token, they will not give money back.

The regular could stay at 82 games but some compacting of the schedule is needed. I know the players cried and whined about back to backs but they are being paid VERY nicely to play a game that lasts 48 minutes per night. The playoffs do need to be shrunk. Cut it to 12 teams. The first round is best of three. I can deal with best of five but prefer best of three. Season done by Memorial Day. The main reason why the Finals don't start until June? Ratings. In June they compete against nothing on the other networks. In May they compete with TV season finales/cliffhangers, etc. May used to be a big event/sweeps month on broadcast TV. Advertising prices were based on May ratings and the NBA didn't hold up.

P.S. I love hockey and they have the same issue. Hockey should not be played when people are headed to the beach.

Should there be fewer games over a shorter period of time or is the season just right?
Should … yes … would make a better product … I would go for 60 games, and playoffs best of 5 until conference/NBA finals at 7

will … no … too much $$$$

Shave the first and last 2 weeks of the season off. Same goes for the NHL.

MLB first 2 weeks and the last month. Regular season ends on Labor Day.

NFL back to 14 games

Ohio high school football - back to 6 divisions of 11 man and 8 teams per region.

Less is more.