Should Pete Rose be in the Hall-of-Fame?

No.

Anyone associated with a team (player, coach) who places bets on his tram should face the ultimate penalty.

I'd the public ever gets wind of sports being in the take from the inside, it's over.

Banning is the most severe penalty they can hand out since Public.lynching would be a non starter.

Sorry Pete....your indiscretions and punishment is notice to all players...

I don't care one way or the other, but it seems obvious he is best served not getting in as the controversy keeps him relevant.

With the amount of gambling intertwined with athletics today it seems rather insignificant to ban him for betting on baseball. I would ban him for having sex with underaged girls which is a pretty easily proven fact that did occur with some regularity. Then again, he might not be the only major league player who did that crime either.

I don't care one way or the other, but it seems obvious he is best served not getting in as the controversy keeps him relevant.

With the amount of gambling intertwined with athletics today it seems rather insignificant to ban him for betting on baseball. I would ban him for having sex with underaged girls which is a pretty easily proven fact that did occur with some regularity. Then again, he might not be the only major league player who did that crime either.
I didn't know that.

I've said this for decades. If Pete would had fessed up from the start, taken his punishment, he'd had been in the HOF for years by now. The fact that he continued to fight, proclaim his innocence just put him in a terrible spot. Add to that after all the agreement was reached, Bart Giamatti died from what many claimed was the stress over the whole thing. It doesn't matter a thing that betting is prevalent in pro sports now, players are not, have never been allowed to bet on their own sport for obvious reasons. I think once Pete passes away, he'll get in posthumously in a few years. I think that's been the plan from the jump.

I've said this for decades. If Pete would had fessed up from the start, taken his punishment, he'd had been in the HOF for years by now. The fact that he continued to fight, proclaim his innocence just put him in a terrible spot. Add to that after all the agreement was reached, Bart Giamatti died from what many claimed was the stress over the whole thing. It doesn't matter a thing that betting is prevalent in pro sports now, players are not, have never been allowed to bet on their own sport for obvious reasons. I think once Pete passes away, he'll get in posthumously in a few years. I think that's been the plan from the jump.
I don’t think so. Joe Jackson has been dead for a long time and MLB has not lifted his lifetime ban.

I've always felt that Pete should be in the HOF. His gambling didn't change the fact that he's the hit king. However his gambling should ( and did) prevent him from being involved in the day to day of baseball operations. No manager, GM, VP, bat boy, base coach, etc.
Question. What if Pete was in the HOF, then his gambling came out after the induction. Would you advocate removing him?

I've always felt that Pete should be in the HOF. His gambling didn't change the fact that he's the hit king. However his gambling should ( and did) prevent him from being involved in the day to day of baseball operations. No manager, GM, VP, bat boy, base coach, etc.
Question. What if Pete was in the HOF, then his gambling came out after the induction. Would you advocate removing him?
Yes, and as far as we know, he may have been gambling on games as a player. Remember, when the lifetime ban was agreed upon, that was it, no more info about the investigation or anything else. I really feel Pete thought he was bigger than the game. He fought baseball with his innocense fo 15 years before finally fessing up.

Kinda the SAME scenario as the moonshiners in Volnessea. Should THEY go to jail, because their grandpappy made some brew?

Yes let him in. MLB has cozied up to the gambling outlets to the point there is a freaking sports book inside GABP which happens to be on Pete Rose Way. I know they wont miss my money, but I refuse to watch MLB until they do right by this man and let him in before he dies.

People often conflate getting kicked out of baseball and being barred from the Hall of Fame… but they are two completely different things. I don’t think people realize how crushing it was to Rose to get banned from baseball, especially when his hometown Reds were coming into their own while he was managing (he was only 48). IMO it was well-deserved; you can’t have a manager betting on the outcomes of games he controls (no-brainer). Totally puts the integrity of the sport under suspicion. That was a correct yet devastating decision.

But the Baseball Hall of Fame is for the FANS, and every single time they’re polled they want him in. The man is flawed, but you don’t have to like him to recognize Pete Rose made an incredible impact on the game as player (17 all star games- again, the fans). But self-righteous gatekeepers are still flexing their muscles to the detriment of what the majority want. His entry into the HOF is kind of trivial to me, but it is special to him and baseball fans, especially in Cincinnati.

No. No. No. Pete knew the rules and flaunted them. If Shoeless Joe Jackson can’t be in, Pete can’t be in. Never much cared for Pete as a person, or his style, but Pete could play ball. Broke in as an all-star 2B, moved to OF and was an all-star, moved to 3B and was an all-star, moved to 1B and was an all-star. Nobody loved the game more than Pete. It’s just too bad Pete was Pete.

What's particularly troublesome about Pete Rose's double punishment is that known cheater Gaylord Perry was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991 while all of Pete Rose controversy was still fresh on everyone's minds. Perry even bragged about it and openly challenged MLB to stop him while he was playing. 🤦‍♂️

What's particularly troublesome about Pete Rose's double punishment is that known cheater Gaylord Perry was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991 while all of Pete Rose controversy was still fresh on everyone's minds. Perry even bragged about it and openly challenged MLB to stop him while he was playing. 🤦‍♂️
They never caught him. And Gaylord was trying to win games. Pete was in a position as a manager to potentially manipulate outcomes. Even though he said he never bet against his team he was in a position to affect the score…much like point shaving in basketball.