Ross Bjork

Don't know enough to know whether it would actually be a good hire or just an instance of hiring someone away from a big brand school.

A&M initially hired Jimbo before he became the AD there. At a place like that where donors and boosters really rule the roost I'm not sure how much if any involvement he would have actually had with the massive extension or the firing/buyout process.

Fair. I botched the timeline on that. But he’s still on the hook for that ridiculous extension, which he has subsequently taken the blame for in recent months. Let’s hope he’s learned from it.
He also fired him early on and seemed like a real leader in his interview about why he did. The guy comes across as authoritative and aggressive thinking which is the total opposite of the passive weaker leader in Gene Smith.

Also posted this on the tOSU thread:

The Texas A&M boosters are happy, didn't like the way he handled the hiring of Elko.

On the other hand I have heard he is a more a business type and can handle a big sprawling place with a huge budget.

Some additional info on Bjork - I just read that he increased Ole Miss’ athletic department revenue from $57m to $117m. Quite impressive.

It’s official, official. Just a grand slam hire IMO. Needed a cut throat guy from the SEC and we got one. It’s unfortunate he cannot start work right away and fix the mess Gene has created

aboard I guess. Would seem his mission is fund raising and bringing NIL to it's full potential at Ohio State. Give him a chance is all we can do. And speaking of Bjork:

Wait, what? Ohio State lacks in state of the art facilities?
At minimum, OSU wants a dedicated hockey arena and the Woody needs replaced. They’ve upgraded it but it’s nearly 40 years old. That’s ancient in the arms race of high end facilities for high end college athletics.

At minimum, OSU wants a dedicated hockey arena and the Woody needs replaced. They’ve upgraded it but it’s nearly 40 years old. That’s ancient in the arms race of high end facilities for high end college athletics.
Agree on the hockey. The Woody is just a giant building. The insides were renovated when Urban was there. Pretty much all of their facilities are top notch.

Pretty good opening presser. Both Bjork and new OSU President Ted Baker advocate for a new NCAA model, one that includes revenue sharing. Also mentions they will continue with 36 varsity sports but things can change as the financial model changes; Bjork acknowledges that football is king.

I’d still be surprised if something happens but it is interesting that Bjork will be paid by OSU as a senior advisor to Gene Smith from March 1-June 30 to ensure a smooth transition. Maybe, with Bjork already on staff, they’ll make a move with Holtmann.

It will be interesting to see how the new prez and new AD at OSU will actually fund the new demands of NIL, maintaining/upgrading facilities, along with the non revenue sports. That and the Athletic department is $80 million in debt from the covid year. Way above my pay grade.

Ross Bjork already paying dividends. I believe Gene has taken a total hands off approach and allowed OSU to use their full NIL at this point even if Ross is not here.