Regional Finals Scores (finals and updates)

I was able to make the CCDS and Alter game as well as the Summit and Waynesville game.

First CCDS and Alter. Both teams had some chances the wind was insane especially up on top of the hill in Monroe. Corner by Farris was a great playable ball in off the corner and finished by a Zimm twin off her head (could not tell you what one). Those girls are a lot to deal with. The CCDS squad plays good soccer. Someone said they thought SUA played the most beautiful soccer, CCDS passes so well and builds, something I have not seen from SUA in a decade. 1-0 is a very respectable result for Alter. I can't imagine anyone in D3 that can take CCDS down. they have Lynchburg Clay that like so many of the small rural conferences struggle against the better teams. They played 1 real game vs Madeira this year and lost 3-0. They have no chance against CCDS who has visions of another state title on their minds. The way CCDS is coached and the talent level they have they are on the verge being the most dominant girls soccer program the last 10 years outside of WJ. That's saying something. CCDS keeps most of the top players sans the keeper and I can't see them sliding next year, unless something crazy happens. The Zimm twins and Farris will continue to grow and get better. How a school as small as CCDS can get this many talented players is a testament to why some states put private schools and public schools in different conferences. The socioeconomic factor of girl's soccer is so evident here.

Summit vs Waynesville was just a great atmosphere. I just stood on the fence switching sides. Summit student section showed up in good numbers but the Waynesville side was insane. They nearly filled the visitors stands in all black and orange and in Beavercreek that's a good size visitors section with those colors it almost looked like a creek home game! It was a fun environment to watch some soccer. It was fairly back and forth the first 10 minutes but soon after it was almost all Waynesville. That's saying something because Summit is a great team. Waynesville has a talented defense. I thought #14 their Centerback was exceptional. Fast and strong, really an awesome defensive presence anytime the ball was around her. Their whole backline played well and took the ball out of the air very well. #20 a M/F whom I remembered from the Mariemont game was just as smooth and silky this game. She has touch and vision, great assist on their first goal to the right wing who was making a run in. Honestly, they had many good players, and their speed is impressive everywhere. Erbach had two goals and her second was just beautiful. Winning a 1v1, then coming across the goal at the 18, left foot shot across the body against a second defender driving in. Just before that on the run under pressure from multiple defenders she put a ball 30 yards across the field dead on the foot of the Waynesville wing making a run inside the box, it was left unfinished but that was probably one of the most heads up and impressive passes I've seen from a high school player ever. While standing on the fence a couple of the "Summit" people were talking and said Erbach had just finished 2nd overall at the State cross country meet 3 hours before the game. I could not believe it, I looked it up and this young lady was 2nd overall in the State cross country meet, then went and played the State #3 team, played all minutes and put up 2 goals and was easily the best player on the field for either team. I have no words....
Need to give credit to the entire Waynesville cross country/soccer team. A lot of girls do both. Just like last year they ran state in the morning then won a regional final soccer game in the evening

I actually always thought this was prohibited by OHSAA (was under the impression you can only be in season for one OHSAA sanctioned sport at a time) so I learned something new.

IMO no call should have been made and definitely not a yellow. Defender extended arms because she was falling and barely touched the girl. GK made majority of contact on 50/50 ball that forward and keeper both have rights to. Call got made because forward sold it.
I agree. There was no foul. The keeper and the attacker collided while going for the ball. The keeper got hands on the ball. So, she wasn’t trying to take the attacker out. Therefore, no card for her and no PK. The defender was chasing the attacker. When the attacker and keeper collided, the defender extended her arms to avoid colliding herself. She didn’t push the attacker to the ground. The attacker was falling because of the collision with the keeper. Very bad call

IMO no call should have been made and definitely not a yellow. Defender extended arms because she was falling and barely touched the girl. GK made majority of contact on 50/50 ball that forward and keeper both have rights to. Call got made because forward sold it.
Mammy/Conan.... a small push? barely touched the forward?? the defender was falling so she pushed the forward to keep from falling??? The defender extended her arms to avoid colliding???? Those are interesting attempts to minimize a penal foul. I recommend watching the video a few more times and slowing it down. Defenders are taught to protect the GK. It's clear that the defender was either pushing the forward off of her GK "or" was trying to keep the forward from touching the ball and potentially scoring. As referees, we are taught to gauge a player's intent when making certain calls (e.g., 50/50 ball, making an attempt to play the ball or just the player, offside, etc.). Please keep in mind that #14 (defender) wasn't making any attempt to play the ball and that she pushed the forward from the other side of her GK. At the time of the push, the forward was on one leg making it easier to knock her down. If the forward was selling the foul then, she deserves an Emmy/Oscar award. I have forwarded the video to several referees and a few coaches. We all agree the PK was the right call against #14 for the deliberate push in the box. Where the referee got it wrong is when he carded the GK since she clearly was making an attempt to collect the ball inside her penalty box. If #14 would've stayed out of the play and not pushed the forward then, we would agree with not calling a foul since the forward and GK were in a 50/50 situation and both players have a right to play a ball that hasn't been stopped or collected.

Wow not sure how you can make that call. Other people know way more about soccer than me. I would love to hear their interpretation

Here's the play slowed down:
https://drive.google.com/file...

I don't think it's an obvious foul, even against #14. Looks like the feet got tangled/locked, and then the attacker's right knee hits the goalie's right thigh. That knee contact was a lot of the reason for the fall. #14 looks to be bracing for impact and may have leaned in with her arm, but if you watch her shoulders, there's no thrust. IMO, the ref prob thought the goalie swept the legs with her hands, although the replay clearly shows her going for the ball and making contact with it a 2nd time.

Of course, that's the luxury of watching it in slow motion. Tough call either way without watching a replay.

Here's the play slowed down:
https://drive.google.com/file...

I don't think it's an obvious foul, even against #14. Looks like the feet got tangled/locked, and then the attacker's right knee hits the goalie's right thigh. That knee contact was a lot of the reason for the fall. #14 looks to be bracing for impact and may have leaned in with her arm, but if you watch her shoulders, there's no thrust. IMO, the ref prob thought the goalie swept the legs with her hands, although the replay clearly shows her going for the ball and making contact with it a 2nd time.

Of course, that's the luxury of watching it in slow motion. Tough call either way without watching a replay.
At the very least, you can understand why the call was made. It isn’t a “phantom” call. Upset with the result? Sure. So upset to do all that stuff after? That’s what shocks me.

After watching the video, in real time and full speed, I would have called the PK as well, more because of the defender than the goalie. After watching it multiple times and slowing it down, I can see how it could have been a no call as well.

At the very least, you can understand why the call was made. It isn’t a “phantom” call. Upset with the result? Sure. So upset to do all that stuff after? That’s what shocks me.
The most level headed and proper response take you can have. I am a referee and have watched this a bunch of times now and I still see penalty. IMO #5 is taken down in the box on a promising attack, now I think if #14 was not involved it may have gone in Walsh's favor, but when you have two crashing into the attacker, the referees eyes see that. I still think the referee got it right in giving the penalty. Will people disagree? Of course, that is the nature of sports. This does not excuse the actions of the coach and the parents that ran onto the field. Coach should receive a hefty suspension and the school should be fined. The fans that entered the field to go after the referees should be banned for at least a year. The OHSAA mandates referees to discuss sportsmanship in the pregame and it was a major point of emphasis this year. If OHSAA is really serious, then they should act swiftly and harshly in my opinion.

If that type of collision takes place at midfield in the first 15 minutes of the game, I don't think anyone bats an eye at that being called a foul. Because it happens in the box, involving the goalkeeper, in the last minute of the regional final, it's suddenly controversial - and understandably so. And if that call gets sent to VAR, I think there's very little chance it gets overturned. Would I be bitter if I were a Walsh fan? Probably. Would I be outraged if I were a Strongsville fan and that was a no-call? Without a doubt.

The most level headed and proper response take you can have. I am a referee and have watched this a bunch of times now and I still see penalty. IMO #5 is taken down in the box on a promising attack, now I think if #14 was not involved it may have gone in Walsh's favor, but when you have two crashing into the attacker, the referees eyes see that. I still think the referee got it right in giving the penalty. Will people disagree? Of course, that is the nature of sports. This does not excuse the actions of the coach and the parents that ran onto the field. Coach should receive a hefty suspension and the school should be fined. The fans that entered the field to go after the referees should be banned for at least a year. The OHSAA mandates referees to discuss sportsmanship in the pregame and it was a major point of emphasis this year. If OHSAA is really serious, then they should act swiftly and harshly in my opinion.
While I agree with everything that has been said here regarding the actions of the coach and the fans what I really do not understand is how the referee handled this situation. I just do not understand the mentality of soccer referees. I myself am a basketball referee and have experience with reffing 3rd grade up to high school level players - I was always taught never engage with fans, never get in the middle of players time on the floor (rules of minimum playing time in grade school games/tournaments) and explain to the coach then walk away.

This grand standing and the theater of going into someone's face and raising a red/yellow card as high as you can to me is making the game more about the ref then the actual call. Call the foul, raise the card and move on. Also, I have never seen in any other sport the amount of bantering a soccer referee engages with the fans. I rarely see fan engagement in basketball or volleyball other than BSing during a stoppage.

IMHO as the coach got in the referee's face at the end of the game (which was 100% wrong by that coach), the ref should have kept walking, get to a clear point, raised the red card and keep moving to the ref gathering place/car. Talking about adding fuel to the fire with raising the card in the coach's face.

If that type of collision takes place at midfield in the first 15 minutes of the game, I don't think anyone bats an eye at that being called a foul. Because it happens in the box, involving the goalkeeper, in the last minute of the regional final, it's suddenly controversial - and understandably so. And if that call gets sent to VAR, I think there's very little chance it gets overturned. Would I be bitter if I were a Walsh fan? Probably. Would I be outraged if I were a Strongsville fan and that was a no-call? Without a doubt.
I am a former referee. After what I have seen during HS soccer games not called. I have trouble calling that foul. I have watched it many times and I just dont see a foul. But that is my opinion. Those actions after the game should not be allowed. They are lucky they did not leave the game in cuffs.

While I agree with everything that has been said here regarding the actions of the coach and the fans what I really do not understand is how the referee handled this situation. I just do not understand the mentality of soccer referees. I myself am a basketball referee and have experience with reffing 3rd grade up to high school level players - I was always taught never engage with fans, never get in the middle of players time on the floor (rules of minimum playing time in grade school games/tournaments) and explain to the coach then walk away.

This grand standing and the theater of going into someone's face and raising a red/yellow card as high as you can to me is making the game more about the ref then the actual call. Call the foul, raise the card and move on. Also, I have never seen in any other sport the amount of bantering a soccer referee engages with the fans. I rarely see fan engagement in basketball or volleyball other than BSing during a stoppage.

IMHO as the coach got in the referee's face at the end of the game (which was 100% wrong by that coach), the ref should have kept walking, get to a clear point, raised the red card and keep moving to the ref gathering place/car. Talking about adding fuel to the fire with raising the card in the coach's face.
In this situation there are two players involved. The referee must make clear who is receiving the yellow card. I would have to disagree with you that this referee was "grandstanding". As far as the issuance of the card and the technical procedure, this referee (IMO) did a great job in being clear in his call. Yes there will be arguments but everyone in the stadium new what the call was due to his clear actions.

Also unlike basketball where the game ends and officials are able to run off the court and into the locker room, soccer officials do not have this luxury. Depending where they are on the field they can be 50-100 yards away from where they need to get off the field. We are also responsible for the time immediately after the game. For example if a player throws a punch in the handshake line, we can still issue a red card for violent conduct and that player would still have to face the suspension even though it was after time expired.

As far as the coach situation goes, I think the referee probably wanted to again make it clear the coach was receiving red. You may be right, he probably could've kept a little more distance to display the red but again from what I can see, I do not see the referee responding verbally or physcially to the coach. All he did, and needed to do, was show the card to him.

Last edited:
In this situation there are two players involved. The referee must make clear who is receiving the yellow card. I would have to disagree with you that this referee was "grandstanding". As far as the issuance of the card and the technical procedure, this referee (IMO) did a great job in being clear in his call. Yes there will be arguments but everyone in the stadium new what the call was due to his clear actions.

Also unlike basketball where the game ends and officials are able to run off the court and into the locker room, soccer officials do not have this luxury. Depending where they are on the field they can be 50-100 yards away from where they need to get off the field. We are also responsible for the time immediately after the game. For example if a player throws a punch in the handshake line, we can still issue a red card for violent conduct and that player would still have to face the suspension even though it was after time expired.

As far as the coach situation goes, I think the referee probably wanted to again make it clear the coach was receiving red. You may be right, he probably could've kept a little more distance to display the red but again from what I can see, I do not see the referee responding verbally or physcially to the coach. All he did, and needed to do, was show the card to him.
Thanks for the insight - a couple of parting thoughts

I'll agree with you that the ref needs to make clear who gets the card and it is not as simple as calling out a number "to the table" and thanks for clarifying that. But running to a player and emphatically holding the card up in the air seems a little excessive - too much theater for me. In my basketball world, I equate that to the ref running up to the player and pointing right at him.

Thanks for after the info about after the game responsibilities, was unaware of their responsibility about that piece

The verbal response was a general response about what I have witnessed over the many years I have watched soccer not in this particular case though the ref did turn his back on the coach and waived his arm at him.

Thanks for that recap, @Empty CUP, and actually for all the insight throughout the season. I don't make it out to many D2 and D3 matches and rarely find good video to watch back, so it is much appreciated!
That is crazy to hear about Erbach. She was already on another level but now this? :oops:
Amazing!
Dude, get your head out of EC’s a_ _. He’s a narcissistic d-bag who knows jack-shiite about high-level soccer. He predicted the GGCL would be “weak” this year . . . . . Then again, he is fairly knowledgeable about Indian Hill and their SAY soccer-quality opponents in D2/3.

But, more importantly, the Erbach XC story is f’ing awesome! Stud of the year, hands down! XC, more than any other sport, clearly proves who has more guts/courage/grit/toughness than the rest.

Last edited: