OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

From May 2012 press release (on the OHSAA website):
The bylaw issue that did not pass for the second consecutive year was a proposal to change how schools are assigned to tournament divisions in the team sports of football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball and softball to address competitive balance. Rather than place schools into OHSAA tournament divisions based strictly on male or female enrollment, a proposal to develop a sport-by-sport athletic count would have used enrollment as the initial factor and then potentially added enrollment based on a boundary factor (how a school secures students) and a tradition factor (sport-by-sport success in reaching the regional and/or state tournament over an eight-year period), and then potentially lost enrollment based on a socioeconomic factor (the number of students involved in the free lunch program). The athletic count proposal to address competitive balance in OHSAA tournaments failed 339 to 301 (53 percent to 47 percent). A similar proposal failed 332 to 303 (52 percent to 48 percent) in May 2011.

Money grab and sticking with the notion that everyone deserves a medal.

Ya know, everyone complains about participation trophies and stuff, but let me tell you something about them.

I'm a Millennial, born in the late 80s. Participation trophies and ribbons started when I was a kid, yes. But guess what....we didn't want them. Our parents and grandparents had this idea that we were all special and deserved recognition. We didn't want a BS trophy for losing.

So the ones who started participation trophies.....are the older people complaining about them now.

Ya know, everyone complains about participation trophies and stuff, but let me tell you something about them.

I'm a Millennial, born in the late 80s. Participation trophies and ribbons started when I was a kid, yes. But guess what....we didn't want them. Our parents and grandparents had this idea that we were all special and deserved recognition. We didn't want a BS trophy for losing.

So the ones who started participation trophies.....are the older people complaining about them now.
My kids were born in the early 90s and were not given participation trophies

Is there an estimate as to how many teams will move up into D-I and D-II based on competitive balance? Is it clear that will have a subsequent downward push on other teams in D-III and D-IV, etc... whereby a team that might now be a D-III team will go to D-IV because D-III will be recipient of displaced former D-II schools?

Is there an estimate as to how many teams will move up into D-I and D-II based on competitive balance? Is it clear that will have a subsequent downward push on other teams in D-III and D-IV, etc... whereby a team that might now be a D-III team will go to D-IV because D-III will be recipient of displaced former D-II schools?
IMO, there won't be a lot of movement from D-I to D-II once the cb numbers are applied. The bigger D-II schools based on enrollment historically haven't had large cb adjustments. Findlay will likely be D-1 after cb is factored in while Westerville North (same base enrollment as Findlay) could very well be D-2.

Will see maybe 5 or 6 schools jump from D-3 to D-2 after factoring in competitive balance. Lima Senior, Toledo St. John's, Toledo St. Francis, Barberton, and Stebbins are candidates. In the other divisions, there will be plenty of movement after factoring in cb. Maybe 8 or 9 moving up in each division with a corresponding number dropping down once cb is applied.

Here are my guesses on the breakdowns after factoring in competitive balance.

Division I 626-1335
Division I 440-625
Division III 277-439
Division IV 196-276
Division V 144-195
Division VI 97-143
Division VII 23-96

IMO, there won't be a lot of movement from D-I to D-II once the cb numbers are applied. The bigger D-II schools based on enrollment historically haven't had large cb adjustments. Findlay will likely be D-1 after cb is factored in while Westerville North (same base enrollment as Findlay) could very well be D-2.

Will see maybe 5 or 6 schools jump from D-3 to D-2 after factoring in competitive balance. Lima Senior, Toledo St. John's, Toledo St. Francis, Barberton, and Stebbins are candidates. In the other divisions, there will be plenty of movement after factoring in cb. Maybe 8 or 9 moving up in each division with a corresponding number dropping down once cb is applied.

Here are my guesses on the breakdowns after factoring in competitive balance.

Division I 626-1335
Division I 440-625
Division III 277-439
Division IV 196-276
Division V 144-195
Division VI 97-143
Division VII 23-96
This projection seems to closely aligned with what you have posted.

Just FYI, a Dayton Daily News reporter tweeted OHSAA is considering doing the state semis and finals on separate weekends next year.

He also tweeted the OHSAA has agreed to host the finals at UD in 2025 and 2026.

Last edited:
Just FYI, a Dayton Daily News reporter tweeted OHSAA is considering doing the state semis and finals on separate weekends next year.

He also tweeted the OHSAA has agreed to host the finals at UD in 2025 and 2026.
I'm pretty sure this is a full go

Semi - Girls March 7 – 8 Boys March 14 – 15
Finals - Girls March 14 – 15 Boys March 21 – 22

That means 14 semi final games over 2 days. Gotta think that they won't all be in one location. Hate this idea.....it's ruining a great weekend of basketball
Most of this layout I'm hearing was the recommendation from the coaches association. D3-D7 will start the tournaments 1 week earlier than D1 and D2. They used to allow 2 weeks to get Sectional games all played now they will start them the first week and all district will be the second week.
I hear the state Semi games will be at multiple neutral sites based on location of the regions. Very similar to soccer has been.

Most of this layout I'm hearing was the recommendation from the coaches association. D3-D7 will start the tournaments 1 week earlier than D1 and D2. They used to allow 2 weeks to get Sectional games all played now they will start them the first week and all district will be the second week.
I hear the state Semi games will be at multiple neutral sites based on location of the regions. Very similar to soccer has been.
Our girls coach shared the email with me recently. What you said is pretty much spot on.

That's going to be a hassle for leagues that have D2 and D3 teams in the same league. They'll have to adjust their schedules so the D3 teams are done with their league games a week earlier than the D2's

That's going to be a hassle for leagues that have D2 and D3 teams in the same league. They'll have to adjust their schedules so the D3 teams are done with their league games a week earlier than the D2's
It was already happening prior to this change. Some leagues had teams that played in different OHSAA districts and depending on the district(NW, Cent, NE, SW, E, SE) each one could decide when they started Sectional play during the 2 week period. Some leagues were already ending a week earlier than others because of this. So it will be nothing new.

It was already happening prior to this change. Some leagues had teams that played in different OHSAA districts and depending on the district(NW, Cent, NE, SW, E, SE) each one could decide when they started Sectional play during the 2 week period. Some leagues were already ending a week earlier than others because of this. So it will be nothing new.
Maybe....but gotta think it will be an issue with a lot more leagues now

Maybe....but gotta think it will be an issue with a lot more leagues now
Doubtful. Many leagues that crossed division boarders will now be on the same page since all teams D3 - D4 will start the same. All of the new D1 schools and D2 schools were already in D1 leagues so all that it will affect now is a small amount of the lower D2s and some D3s. My guess is it will be less.