OHSAA Announces 2024 Football Divisions and Regional Assignments

Any idea when they will release the division assignments for the other fall and winter sports? They were all approved at the meeting, correct?

Any idea when they will release the division assignments for the other fall and winter sports? They were all approved at the meeting, correct?
No. Probably after the next board meeting. Last year, football divisions and regions were released on May 3rd, while all other Fall sports were released on May 23rd.

some of these regions are just poorly drawn. time to take the top 64 teams in harbin points per division and just place them in 8 team pods based on geography.

And then everyone will bitch about that too.
it would cut down on early round travel drastically. would eliminate useless trips like having #16 seed Rock Hill travel 4 hours to #1 seed Garaway just to get a running clock put on them.

i’m sure that would be too much work for the OHSAA!

it would cut down on early round travel drastically. would eliminate useless trips like having #16 seed Rock Hill travel 4 hours to #1 seed Garaway just to get a running clock put on them.

i’m sure that would be too much work for the OHSAA!
Just cut back from 16 teams… but trying to get that to happen would be the equivalent of talking to a wall that is the OH$AA

some of these regions are just poorly drawn. time to take the top 64 teams in harbin points per division and just place them in 8 team pods based on geography.
This comes up every year. No matter how you slice it, some schools are going to be stuck with a nasty drive. Doesn't matter if you scrap the expanded playoffs.

The image is D4. Find a better way to cut it up. Moving one school means another gets a bad shake. A roll of the dice says a weaker team will be far away from a better team in many regions in any given year. If I'm going to lose, I want to lose as deep in the tournament as possible. I'd rather win 2+ hours from home than lose in my backyard.

Attachments

• d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 64
How about expanding to eight regions per division?
That wouldn't help in my opinion. The problem is that for D-I all of the teams are concentrated in small pockets in NEO, NWO, SWO and Columbus with a few outliers. Generally in most divisions you have a ton of NEO teams, enough to make 2 whole regions and then in most of the larger divisions there is no one or very few teams in SEO. The way population density is throughout the state does not lend itself to even regions as it pertains to geographic distribution.

It will be interesting to see if the voucher proponents are correct in that the bill was passed too late last year to make an impact in 2023-24 but we'll see an influx of students going to private from public schools in 2024-25. If that's the case, the OHSAA should reconsider using this enrollment count for two years and instead do a count every year.

It will be interesting to see if the voucher proponents are correct in that the bill was passed too late last year to make an impact in 2023-24 but we'll see an influx of students going to private from public schools in 2024-25. If that's the case, the OHSAA should reconsider using this enrollment count for two years and instead do a count every year.
With today’s technology, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be doing it every year, regardless of the voucher program.

While maybe not exactly perfect, looking at all 7 divisions OHSAA did a pretty respectable job with laying out regions. I did not count the number of teams in each region, so maybe at most they could bump a few teams around, but overall pretty solid.

That wouldn't help in my opinion. The problem is that for D-I all of the teams are concentrated in small pockets in NEO, NWO, SWO and Columbus with a few outliers. Generally in most divisions you have a ton of NEO teams, enough to make 2 whole regions and then in most of the larger divisions there is no one or very few teams in SEO. The way population density is throughout the state does not lend itself to even regions as it pertains to geographic distribution.
Even in D-I Beavercreek from suburban Dayton was in the same region as Toledo area schools. I just think that making eight regions would help a lot as far as travel is concerned.

Bishop Hartley failed to control their enrollment (other than attempting to increase it) for the 67th straight year.

Toledo Central Catholic is the pre-announced state champion of D-III.

Even in D-I Beavercreek from suburban Dayton was in the same region as Toledo area schools. I just think that making eight regions would help a lot as far as travel is concerned.
So consider this if you have a division with 3 or 4 teams in SEO and then 3 or 4 teams halfway between Dayton and Toledo and then 3 or 4 teams in South central Ohio and then 3 or 4 teams halfway between Columbus and Toledo. Meanwhile everyone else is in Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, inside 270 in Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown/Warren. The teams in no man's land will still be in no man's land even with 8 regions instead of 4, maybe with 16 regions you would mitigate the travel an appreciable amount but at that point you would only have 4-6 teams per region and only the top 2 would make the playoffs anyway.
You will always have geographic outliers in any reasonable system just based off of the population density and density of schools throughout the state.
The population of Vinton and Jackson counties combined are less than the population of a city with a D-II or larger D-III school.

So consider this if you have a division with 3 or 4 teams in SEO and then 3 or 4 teams halfway between Dayton and Toledo and then 3 or 4 teams in South central Ohio and then 3 or 4 teams halfway between Columbus and Toledo. Meanwhile everyone else is in Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, inside 270 in Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown/Warren. The teams in no man's land will still be in no man's land even with 8 regions instead of 4, maybe with 16 regions you would mitigate the travel an appreciable amount but at that point you would only have 4-6 teams per region and only the top 2 would make the playoffs anyway.
You will always have geographic outliers in any reasonable system just based off of the population density and density of schools throughout the state.
The population of Vinton and Jackson counties combined are less than the population of a city with a D-II or larger D-III school.
i have done a few mock-ups of what 8 regions of 8 teams would’ve looked like the past few years. usually works out pretty well.

i have done a few mock-ups of what 8 regions of 8 teams would’ve looked like the past few years. usually works out pretty well.
For all 7 divisions?
Also there were 111 teams in D-III for example, some regions had 30 teams. 111 teams divided by 8 regions is not 8 teams per region, it is 14 teams per region and one or two with 13. So obviously, you have no clue what you are talking about. Since when did all the divisions only have 64 teams?

For all 7 divisions?
Also there were 111 teams in D-III for example, some regions had 30 teams. 111 teams divided by 8 regions is not 8 teams per region, it is 14 teams per region and one or two with 13. So obviously, you have no clue what you are talking about. Since when did all the divisions only have 64 teams?
i took the top 64 teams in harbin points in each division each of the last 2 years. i placed them into 8 regions with 8 teams each.

still got a 64 team playoff- however top 74 got in regardless of where they were located. then divided into 8 geographical regions and seeded accordingly.