NFLPA: New injury data shows grass 'significantly safer' than turf

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Noncontact injuries for NFL players occurred at a higher rate on artificial turf compared to grass during the 2022 regular season, according to data released this week by the NFL Players Association.

The gap arose one year after the league moved to neutralize the debate about the two types of playing surfaces based on 2021 numbers.

Players have long said they prefer grass over artificial turf, arguing it was not only safer but also that it feels better to play on. In an essay posted to the NFLPA website Wednesday, union president J.C. Tretter noted that the injury rate on grass surfaces was lower from 2012 to 2020. Although the rates were essentially the same in 2021, Tretter termed that outcome an "outlier."

I laugh at these. All through time, we've heard how the old artificial turf was terrible for players. Then we hear of players complaining about natural grass surfaces because they are slick or there are holes that are dug into the ground. Then field turf comes along. A little more softer, the rubber pellets make the ground softer. NOW, since there are many high schools that are adopting field turf, the grass companies are saying that field turf causes %%'s of more injuries..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It's like anything else folks, follow the money.

I laugh at these. All through time, we've heard how the old artificial turf was terrible for players. Then we hear of players complaining about natural grass surfaces because they are slick or there are holes that are dug into the ground. Then field turf comes along. A little more softer, the rubber pellets make the ground softer. NOW, since there are many high schools that are adopting field turf, the grass companies are saying that field turf causes %%'s of more injuries..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It's like anything else folks, follow the money.
I trust the players opinion over yours. If they thought field turf was safer, they would want to play on field turf not grass but the players prefer grass fields. It is their career after all.

I trust the players opinion over yours. If they thought field turf was safer, they would want to play on field turf not grass but the players prefer grass fields. It is their career after all.
Have you seen some of the natural grass fields with bare spots and holes? Just my opinion, but I'd think from an overall consistency standpoint, field turf would be the most consistent field to play on.

And do we know if the players even have an opinion? To me this is more of a movement from grass seed and companies who benefit from grass fields. The one commercial I heard was by the Pennington company, who does grass seeds.

Have you seen some of the natural grass fields with bare spots and holes? Just my opinion, but I'd think from an overall consistency standpoint, field turf would be the most consistent field to play on.

And do we know if the players even have an opinion? To me this is more of a movement from grass seed and companies who benefit from grass fields. The one commercial I heard was by the Pennington company, who does grass seeds.