Moeller Basketball

The Game

Hopefully, football will last a couple more weeks and then it's on to basketball. I was looking at the rosters that are posted on the website and noticed none of the football players are playing basketball. Is that correct? I know Hausman and McVittie were a big part of the JV last year. Hunter Hughes was a key player on the freshman. Abel gave some good minutes on varsity last year. Obviously, they are still playing football, but did they all decide not to play basketball this year?

Hopefully, football will last a couple more weeks and then it's on to basketball. I was looking at the rosters that are posted on the website and noticed none of the football players are playing basketball. Is that correct? I know Hausman and McVittie were a big part of the JV last year. Hunter Hughes was a key player on the freshman. Abel gave some good minutes on varsity last year. Obviously, they are still playing football, but did they all decide not to play basketball this year?

It's like that on the wrestling roster as well. But I know thw fb players that wrestle are wrestling, so it may just be a one sport at a time thing. Those guys are playing bb from what I hear.

It's like that on the wrestling roster as well. But I know thw fb players that wrestle are wrestling, so it may just be a one sport at a time thing. Those guys are playing bb from what I hear.

Thanks....I thought it was odd none of them were playing. Now that you mentioned it, how will the wrestling team be this year? Is it business as usual with the new coach?

Rosters are set- if they aren't on there, they aren't playing.

actually- just heard there may be one big change for varsity- not going to post it, but you'll know soon and its not good

Thanks....I thought it was odd none of them were playing. Now that you mentioned it, how will the wrestling team be this year? Is it business as usual with the new coach?

Not business as usual. The new coach has breathed a little new life into the program... sorely needed IMO. I think they'll be very solid, but have a lot of young guys. Only two seniors on the squad I think. But the new coach is young too, and has a lot of energy so it's a good fit so far. Numbers are down a bit.

actually- just heard there may be one big change for varsity- not going to post it, but you'll know soon and its not good

Talk about dangling the carrott......is it an injury or did someone leave? When you say a big change and it not being good makes me think it has something to do with one of the big men.

Do you know why the football players aren't playing? Did they not make the team or are they just focusing on football? I thought Hausman and McVittie would be locks with their size and productivity last year.

Talk about dangling the carrott......is it an injury or did someone leave? When you say a big change and it not being good makes me think it has something to do with one of the big men.

Do you know why the football players aren't playing? Did they not make the team or are they just focusing on football? I thought Hausman and McVittie would be locks with their size and productivity last year.

IMO- Hausman and Macvittie would have made team, but they're focused on football. I think the days of moe having a Gus Ragland who could do it all are gone- kids are forced to pick prime sport. Plus with Macvittie not having any meaningful QB stats this season as backup, You figure he has to hit the combine trail pretty hard to get college looks.

thought rumor would have made it out of school already, but yes it is an injury to THE big guy. Makes me upset to even spell it out, so I'll let you read between the lines. Have to wonder if they won't beg Haus to play to have more of a presence underneath the basket or move Dotson to full time varsity status. This is going to be a very interesting year for moe basketball.

IMO- Hausman and Macvittie would have made team, but they're focused on football. I think the days of moe having a Gus Ragland who could do it all are gone- kids are forced to pick prime sport. Plus with Macvittie not having any meaningful QB stats this season as backup, You figure he has to hit the combine trail pretty hard to get college looks.

thought rumor would have made it out of school already, but yes it is an injury to THE big guy. Makes me upset to even spell it out, so I'll let you read between the lines. Have to wonder if they won't beg Haus to play to have more of a presence underneath the basket or move Dotson to full time varsity status. This is going to be a very interesting year for moe basketball.

I was reading the GCL basketball thread in the baseketball forum and someone wrote about the injury and said he is out for quite some time. That is such a shame....star player, senior year, etc. Hopefully, he can make it back this year. I'd love to see the football guys play, but I understand why they don't at the end of the day. In Hausman's case, why risk some freak injury when you have the world in front of you in terms of football.

Great kid too- sounds like it could be awhile since it is a recurring injury. This team is very different without him. Watched Dotson in some of the summer play, he is a smart physical player, Munz is unmovable on defense, but Nate is special. Other teams are probably salivating right now- this will be a test of how the coaches can adapt.
There are several JV players that opted out (football and baseball players mostly) heard they didn't even have to make cuts. Guess that what happens when all of your teams get so competitive, plus wonder if the transfers coming in that are basketball only took spots from kids coming up through the program. Kids are forced to chose early which sport they are devoted to way too early. Too bad as some of the kids would actually love to play 2-3 sports, but they want to play their main sport in college more.

After watching them tonight, Fowler's loss changes everything. I know the team will only get better, but when you have 2 sophomores and 3 juniors getting a lot of playing time, there's going to be growing pains. They definitely missed Fowler's leadership and play in the game tonight. I think the Roger Bacon transfer is going to be really good. I would love to see him be more aggressive offensively. It was a tough loss tonight, but this team will get better. It should be an interesting year.

Anyone else getting to some games? Have heard no chatter in any of the forums about moe basketball which is sad.

I have been to most of the games. I think the two bright spots on the team are McBride and Georgeton. Pitman is starting to play well, too. I think McBride is going to be really good. He can create and plays great defense. In my opinion, the team doesn't have very many scorers. I know they are young, but I would love for them to get Voss and McCracken involved on the offensive end. Without Fowler, they are the big men and really haven't done a lot offensively. I think it's the nature of the offense. Even with Fowler and his size advantage, they never really just posted him up, gave him the ball and let him take over. Having said that, I'm not a coach and not qualified to tell someone how to run an offense. I just think it's important for their long term success to get Voss and McCracken involved on the offensive end. It would also give them a lot of confidence. It will be interesting to see how they do when they start league play. They lost to the team in Florida and to Wilmington. Wilmington is really good. The Cumberland cousins are going to be hard for any team to deal with this year. Anyone else have takes on the year?

I have been to most of the games. I think the two bright spots on the team are McBride and Georgeton. Pitman is starting to play well, too. I think McBride is going to be really good. He can create and plays great defense. In my opinion, the team doesn't have very many scorers. I know they are young, but I would love for them to get Voss and McCracken involved on the offensive end. Without Fowler, they are the big men and really haven't done a lot offensively. I think it's the nature of the offense. Even with Fowler and his size advantage, they never really just posted him up, gave him the ball and let him take over. Having said that, I'm not a coach and not qualified to tell someone how to run an offense. I just think it's important for their long term success to get Voss and McCracken involved on the offensive end. It would also give them a lot of confidence. It will be interesting to see how they do when they start league play. They lost to the team in Florida and to Wilmington. Wilmington is really good. The Cumberland cousins are going to be hard for any team to deal with this year. Anyone else have takes on the year?

Part of me just wishes they would give a few of the guys the reigns to SHOOT the ball! I get the whole philosophy of Moes strategy, but it may not work with this team so why not try something else? They aren't able to consistently shut down the other teams top scorers as in years past so scoring more becomes crucial for wins.
since half the JVB is playing varsity, how are they and the freshman teams looking?

cumberlands were very good last year, too- difference was Moe forced them into early foul trouble that they never recovered from.

Part of me just wishes they would give a few of the guys the reigns to SHOOT the ball! I get the whole philosophy of Moes strategy, but it may not work with this team so why not try something else? They aren't able to consistently shut down the other teams top scorers as in years past so scoring more becomes crucial for wins.
since half the JVB is playing varsity, how are they and the freshman teams looking?

The freshman look really good. They are undefeated and their closest margin of victory has been 19 points. They are killing teams. McCracken's brother is on the team and he's really good. I don't know the other's names, but they are stocked. The JV is undefeated, but their test will come in league play since a lot of soph's are on varsity this year. I saw that the varsity lost again today against a team from Kentucky. Hopefully, they start to gel soon.

No wonder those outsiders hate Moe- 2 of our starters are transfers; 3 are public school kids before coming to Moe. Where are the Catholic school kids?

No wonder those outsiders hate Moe- 2 of our starters are transfers; 3 are public school kids before coming to Moe. Where are the Catholic school kids?

The transfers are what bothers me, though I believe McBride is the only transfer starter. I don't care that 3 are from public schools.

Are freshmen tryouts complete? Any surprises? How does this class look?

There are three kids, McBride, Khayo, & Harding that I have seen play during this AAU season and all three were dominant. McBride & Khayo were standouts this past football season and I have no doubt that they will also standout on the freshman basketball team.
McBride is one of the best if not the best offensive player in the city and can take a game over if need be!
Khayo's quickness & athletism makes him one of the best defensive players in the city! Khayo is a kid that can shut down the opponents best offensive threat and still has a good enough offensive skill set to be a threat.
Harding is a kid that doesn't seem to get noticed much probably because he was playing on that Southwest Elite team that traveled all over and played against some of the best players in the country. Harding isn't a flashy player but he is strong and has all the skills to be a great player at Moeller!

I can't wait to see these three play together. This should be a fun year for the freshman Moeller basketball fans!

Last edited:
Thoughts and prayers to Georgeton. He went down tonight against Elder and it looked like a significant knee injury. I hope it is not and he finds a way to play again this year.

Thoughts and prayers to Georgeton. He went down tonight against Elder and it looked like a significant knee injury. I hope it is not and he finds a way to play again this year.

Hate when kids get hurt, Senior year is the toughest. Senior night is next week against LaSalle.

Big game (as they all are from here forward) vs. Oak Hills tomorrow, despite losing Nate, feel like Moeller wins this rematch. I like the way they are playing and Isaiah will give them a different look.

Well, certainly got our money's worth tonight! Should never have been OT- that was goaltending no matter how you slice it. Even a friend from OH said he couldn't believe they didn't call it. Good win Moe