Mens Ncaa Basketball tournament..... semi's and finals not on CBS

bigkat

so why would they put the games on TBS, TNT, Tru TV for these games... I think they did this last year also?

for some reason on TBS, the picture is not very clear.......

Turner Sports and CBS agreed last year to split the Final Four both this year and next, a compromise that allowed CBS to keep this year’s National Championship Game (a clause in the NCAA TV deal would have allowed Turner to air the title game this year).

Only poor people only get the networks...so they are not the spending demographic the advertises want.

I have maintained for a while that IF CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox were to give Miami of Ohio-Cincinnati football a primetime spot with all the trappings, promos, etc., it would outdraw Ohio State-Michigan on a second/third tier network like TNT, CBS Sports Network for the simple reason it is on a "big boy" network.

I have maintained for a while that IF CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox were to give Miami of Ohio-Cincinnati football a primetime spot with all the trappings, promos, etc., it would outdraw Ohio State-Michigan on a second/third tier network like TNT, CBS Sports Network for the simple reason it is on a "big boy" network.

College Football Games with the Highest Viewership for 2023 season:

College Football Playoffs Semifinal Rose Bowl (Michigan v. Alabama): 27.7 million
College Football Playoffs National Championship Game (Michigan v. Washington: 25.0 million
Ohio State v. Michigan: 19.07 million
College Football Playoffs Semifinal Sugar Bowl (Washington v. Texas): 18.7 million
SEC Championship (Georgia v. Alabama): 17.52 million
Orange Bowl (Georgia v. Florida State): 10.04 million
Colorado v. Oregon: 10.03 million
Big Ten Championship (Michigan v. Iowa): 10.01 million
Ohio State v. Notre Dame: 9.98 million
Ohio State v. Penn State: 9.96 million
Cotton Bowl (Ohio State v. Missouri): 9.7 million
Colorado v. Colorado State: 9.3 millon

That's the top twelve. Four games featured Michigan. 4 games (3 new) featured Ohio State.

Ohio State-Michigan got the most for a regular season game and nearly double the next closest game (Colorado-Oregon with the Coach Prime effect). Highest regular season games featured: Ohio State, Colorado, Ohio State, Ohio State, Colorado.

There's no way what you suggest would happen. Yeah, it would help. And The Game being on some third rate cable channel would drop viewership a bit. But it's not dropping it enough.

For 2022, Ohio State (22.45m) and Michigan (21.70m) both had higher viewerships for their national semifinals than TCU-Georgia got for the national championship game (17.22m)

Now, if you notice, Ohio State-Michigan in 2023 got more viewers than EVERY SINGLE PLAYED IN 2022 _EXCEPT_ the two national semifinals they were both in.

Last edited:
Only poor people only get the networks...so they are not the spending demographic the advertises want.
Gotta disagree. I only get a couple streaming services, an NFL package streamed, and public channels via an antenna. I don't feel poor? But I didn't really miss not seeing them either.

Gotta disagree. I only get a couple streaming services, an NFL package streamed, and public channels via an antenna. I don't feel poor? But I didn't really miss not seeing them either.
I gave up cable almost two years ago now. I get network from an antenna and get streaming for a few other things. A few games I've missed, but it honestly isn't worth the money any more.

No doubt, I think for some of this generation, ESPN is just on 24/7 as background noise, regardless of content. So while some of their ratings are valid, some are not.

so why would they put the games on TBS, TNT, Tru TV for these games... I think they did this last year also?

for some reason on TBS, the picture is not very clear.......
I can only think the ratings are close enough that the powers that be don't feel it's necessary to put the games on the main network. Sports fans will go find the game, while believe it or not, alot of people don't do sports and they still get a big number for those shows. I always marveled at the ratings for 60 minutes the Sunday football games. I'm not sure I've ever watched one complete episode of 60 minutes.