Mason picked to finish last in the GMC

Colerain still team to beat in the GMC

http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/...ain-still-team-to-beat-in-the-gmc-868770.html

GMC team-by-team football previews

http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/high-school-sports/gmc-team-by-team-football-previews-868648.html

10. Mason

Nickname: Comets

Coach: Brian Castner (first season)

2009 record: 3-7, 2-5 GMC (seventh place)

Five players to watch: David Fulcher, 5-foot-9, 190 pounds, running back, senior; Joe Spencer, 6-3, 260, offensive lineman, junior; Derek Henson, 6-1, 185, wide receiver, senior; Ethan King, 6-3, 190, defensive back, senior; Erich Myers, 6-1, 215, linebacker, senior

Outlook: First-year coach Brian Castner is trying to create depth and competition on a team that has won just six Greater Miami Conference games since joining the league in 2007. The Comets offense will rely heavily on senior David Fulcher, who looks to return for a strong senior season after missing all but one game in 2009. “I played in this league and I loved every minute of it. We’re looking forward to this season for many reasons and our players are looking forward to competing every Friday night,” Castner said.

Mason had a pretty good outing in their final scrimmage - beating Springboro 36-17 for the varsity.

10. Mason

Nickname: Comets

Coach: Brian Castner (first season)

2009 record: 3-7, 2-5 GMC (seventh place)

Five players to watch: David Fulcher, 5-foot-9, 190 pounds, running back, senior; Joe Spencer, 6-3, 260, offensive lineman, junior; Derek Henson, 6-1, 185, wide receiver, senior; Ethan King, 6-3, 190, defensive back, senior; Erich Myers, 6-1, 215, linebacker, senior

Outlook: First-year coach Brian Castner is trying to create depth and competition on a team that has won just six Greater Miami Conference games since joining the league in 2007. The Comets offense will rely heavily on senior David Fulcher, who looks to return for a strong senior season after missing all but one game in 2009. “I played in this league and I loved every minute of it. We’re looking forward to this season for many reasons and our players are looking forward to competing every Friday night,” Castner said.

I agree with cometcenter "That ain't gonna happen folks." The Comets should have their best year since joining the GMC and being listed last will make every win that more satisfying. IMO.

I also noticed when refering to the Comets poor performance the last three years, the writer wrote, ("a team that has won just six Greater Miami Conference games since joining the league in 2007") when in fact it was eight games. I know that doesn't sound that much better but that is a 25% error and with so few wins, everyone you can count, makes a difference.

I also don't know how they come up with "Five players to watch" when 3 of the 5 either had limilted playing time or no playing time at their listed positions above. :shrug: I guess we'll "watch" and see. Good luck guys!

GO Comets!!!

My take on last nights game (writing mostly about the first three quarters when varsity was on the field):

I thought the scrimmages looked pretty good. Last night the first half looked really bad and the second half a different team was on the field (played much better). Overall it looks promising but it's really hard to gauge things when scrimmaging and playing teams that you don't know much about or how good they really are this year.
Last nights 2nd half performance should be a huge confidence builder. IMO!

The good:

1.) The OL line did a great job in the second half which help establish the run.
2.) Special teams looked very good and got better as the game went on.
3.) The team looked pretty organized (for this early in the season).
4.) Not having tp play players on both defense and offense.
4.) The team looked better conditioned them Withrow and Springboro come the middle of the third quarter.
5.) The offense ran the ball well in the second half
6.) Defense had some nice turnovers and had some success in stopping the run.

The bad:

1.) Way to many penalties (the ratio Comet vs opponents).
2.) Offense needs to be more consistent and sustain drives longer.
3.) Defense needs to do better at tackling and giving up the big play.
4.) Need to play better football the first half so we can take better advantage of our opponents (in the second half) not being as conditioned as us. (ie: no players going both ways).
5.) The passing game is not very good so far (poor passing and dropped passes).
6.) Pass defense needs work.

The ugly:

Nothing ugly to report. The many players that have minor injuries already is a concern though! Some seem nagging and on going.

To the team and the coaches:

Way to adjust and come out the second half last night ready to win the game!!

Good luck in the Home opener against Trootwood! Play with the same confidence and execution you did the second half last night and you will surprise everyone, including yourself!

GO Comets!!!

Mason football rebuilding under Castner

The Mason High School football program hasn’t had much success since leaving the Fort Ancient Valley Conference after the 2006 season. The Comets have gone 8-22 since, including a 6-15 record in the Greater Miami Conference.

Now first year head coach Brian Castner is faced with the challenge of righting the program.

“We have to understand that every day we need to get better,” Castner said. “It’s not just one rep, it’s every rep. That is what the players don’t understand. They are starting to understand it. But there is still 10-12 percent that are not on the bus.”

Offense

Turning the offense around will be no small task. The Comets were last in the GMC last year in yards per game with 185.7 and averaged only 12.1 points per game.

Castner is installing a pro-style offense, similar to what he was involved with the past five seasons as an assistant at St. Xavier High School.

“Offensively, we have to establish the line of scrimmage and run the ball,” Castner said.

That emphasis will be shouldered by senior running back David Fulcher, who missed the final nine games last season due to injury, but can be explosive when healthy.

The battle for the quarterback position may carry over into the season between JD Sprague and Zach Boden.

“The quarterback has not played itself out,” Castner said.

While senior Derek Henson (6-foot, 180 pounds) and junior Kevin Niehoff (6-1, 170) will anchor the receiving positions, the offensive line is seen as a work in progress.

Defense

The Comets were a porous group last season, allowing a league high 28 points per game and yielding nearly 350 yards of offense.

Castner has put the defense 
in the hands of his brother, Keith, who will implement a 
3-3 scheme. The Comets will have to replace four second team All-GMC performers in Tyler Plank, Andy Porter, Maison Kana and Nick Wehby. Brian Castner said most positions are up for grabs until the season begins.

“We have to play great, get after it, 11 guys to the ball defense,” Brian said. “We have to be relentless and fly to the ball.”

Outlook

Castner gets zero favors from the schedule in his first season having to face Trotwood-Madison and Centerville before entering conference play. The Mason program is a big ship to turn and it will take some time, but if the Comets can get an early win, it might jump start the Castner era.

The Audible

“Mason was successful in the FAVC and now in the GMC they haven’t had the same success, but I know their coaches are working towards that. Once those kids get a taste, then it can turn around fast.” - Sycamore coach Scott Dattilo

http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/...football-rebuilding-under-castner-872009.html

The GMC football coaches pick Mason to finish last in the GMC. That ain't gonna happen folks.

This doesn't surprise me, and quite frankly doesn't mean anything. If you really think about it though, based on Mason's performance in the GMC the last three years, this shouldn't shock anybody.

Mason has a very favorable GMC schedule this year and some schools are down talent wise compared to normal years. They shouldn't finish last this year, the boys and their play will determine the outcome.

My take on last nights game (writing mostly about the first three quarters when varsity was on the field):

I thought the scrimmages looked pretty good. Last night the first half looked really bad and the second half a different team was on the field (played much better). Overall it looks promising but it's really hard to gauge things when scrimmaging and playing teams that you don't know much about or how good they really are this year.

The good:

1.) The OL line did a great job in the second half which help establish the run.
4.) The team looked better conditioned them Withrow and Springboro come the middle of the third quarter.

The bad:

4.) Need to play better football the first half so we can take better advantage of our opponents (in the second half) not being as conditioned as us. (ie: no players going both ways).

The ugly:

Nothing ugly to report. The many players that have minor injuries already is a concern though! Some seem nagging and on going.

Good luck in the Home opener against Trootwood! Play with the same confidence and execution you did the second half last night and you will surprise everyone, including yourself!

GO Comets!!!

Nice breakdown HWC. What are the nagging injuries and who is hurt? I heard that Henson is already having some issues, any other impact players? One thing this team can not afford is injuries. There is very little if any depth on this team.

Nice breakdown HWC. What are the nagging injuries and who is hurt? I heard that Henson is already having some issues, any other impact players? One thing this team can not afford is injuries. There is very little if any depth on this team.

There are several "impact players" that have nagging injuries. I don't want to name names (who's that remind you of? LMAO), I'll be glad to PM you if you want some details and who they are (don't want to post info that could possibly give an advantage to our opponents). LOL

Go Comets!!!

There are several "impact players" that have nagging injuries. I don't want to name names (who's that remind you of? LMAO), I'll be glad to PM you if you want some details and who they are (don't want to post info that could possibly give an advantage to our opponents). LOL

Go Comets!!!

No problem. Guess we'll see what the story is Friday night.

this doesnt matter at all, but there is no way this will be the best team we have had in a few years... last years team had a good bunch of players, just dumb ----- coaches (for the most part) who didnt know what they were doing

this doesn't matter at all, but there is no way this will be the best team we have had in a few years... last years team had a good bunch of players, just dumb ----- coaches (for the most part) who didn't know what they were doing

What does "this doesn't matter at all", mean? I don't know how anyone can say how good this team will be. There's a lot of new players, players playing different positions, different offense, and like you said, different coaches. There are some good players on this team also. So.. let's just let this new team, coaches, and entire program have a chance to show what they can do over the next couple of months and then we'll see for sure. They might impress you, me, themselves and everyone. :shrug:

Go Comets!!!

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

GO Comets!!!

Nice write up. I am blown away that Hensen is still playing football. UNC must be losing it. UNC was just named the top recruiting class by Lacrosse Magazine and I would hate to see him get hurt and lose that....

Nice write up. I am blown away that Hensen is still playing football. UNC must be losing it. UNC was just named the top recruiting class by Lacrosse Magazine and I would hate to see him get hurt and lose that....

For real! He's had a nagging injury since 2 a days. He's questionable for tomorrows game. Missed a lot of practice so far this year. Don't know if it's true but I heard he doesn't even want to play football this year. IDK? It's better to go to Vegas if you want to gamble IMO. I sure hope he knows what he's doing; it would be a shame to see him get hurt enough to keep him from playing Lacrosse in College. Guess we'll see and hope he gets through the season without further injury.

Last edited:
Mason's QB looked lost.

You cannot play (Win) with a QB who sits out a whole year, ridiculous.

When the injuries start to happen in a few weeks this team will be terrible.