How does skipping a bowl help?

aztecjim

It's a new thing. Players skipping bowls to "get ready for the draft". Someone please explain the logic. The only remote reason I can think of is avoiding an injury.

It's a new thing. Players skipping bowls to "get ready for the draft". Someone please explain the logic. The only remote reason I can think of is avoiding an injury.
That be it, a bowl game does very little to improve a players NFL stock. Jaylon Smith a linebacker from ND was considered a top ten pick, injured his knee vs OSU in the Fiesta Bowl ended up being drafted in the 2nd rd. cost himself several million dollars.

That be it, a bowl game does very little to improve a players NFL stock. Jaylon Smith a linebacker from ND was considered a top ten pick, injured his knee vs OSU in the Fiesta Bowl ended up being drafted in the 2nd rd. cost himself several million dollars.
Playing devil's advocate. What if the all-star QB gets injured playing in the conference championship game? Are we going to start having players bolting before CCGs?

Playing devil's advocate. What if the all-star QB gets injured playing in the conference championship game? Are we going to start having players bolting before CCGs?
This is why, sooner rather than later, college football players will be classified as employees with contracts spelling out obligations of all parties.

Reactions: y2h
Lot of eyes on CCGs. Win that game and you have the chance to play for a Natty on a major stage. A non playoff bowl game? An exhibition game and extra practice for next year's team. Why play the players who are leaving?

Just how long does it take you to get ready for the draft? You run some sprints, do some bench presses, probably do the same things you do to get ready for a bowl game. I see a day where it will be common place to quit half way during the season to prepare for the draft pretty much ruining college football.

Probably going to eventually have some "obligations" defined in NIL deals provided through collectives that are tied to the schools to try to limit this.

Eventually they aren't going to want to pay for (or will want paid back by) players that choose to sit out.

Jason Smith-Njigba sat most of last season with a "hamstring" injury because he was projected to be a high pick, and he was. Until teams start not drafting guys that sit, it will continue to happen.

Jason Smith-Njigba sat most of last season with a "hamstring" injury because he was projected to be a high pick, and he was. Until teams start not drafting guys that sit, it will continue to happen.
Ironically, it was the Rose Bowl win over Utah that really put JSN on the map when he became the go to guy when Olave and Wilson sat out the game.

You’re not going to stop a team from drafting a talented player, but the sitting out the bowl trend is just another factor that’s starting to make college football blow.

It doesn’t make any sense OP. None at all.
What difference does it make to win a whatever bowl? I don't need to see the players that are leaving play another game. I want to see the players that are coming back and will be playing in 2024. Do you want to see McCord at QB Friday?
Wanting to see some player who is leaving to win the Cotton Bowl MVP? How does that improve the 2024 team?

What difference does it make to win a whatever bowl? I don't need to see the players that are leaving play another game. I want to see the players that are coming back and will be playing in 2024. Do you want to see McCord at QB Friday?
Wanting to see some player who is leaving to win the Cotton Bowl MVP? How does that improve the 2024 team?
That's why you have spring ball.

Ironically, it was the Rose Bowl win over Utah that really put JSN on the map when he became the go to guy when Olave and Wilson sat out the game.

You’re not going to stop a team from drafting a talented player, but the sitting out the bowl trend is just another factor that’s starting to make college football blow.
Talent always wins out and it just stinks for guys in team sports to "opt out" and not be there for their teammates. It's the think about the transfer portal and NIL that just really grates me. How can you play a team sport, rely on others to help you succeed, then leave them hanging? I also look at it as an opportunity to gather more memorable sports experiences for your lifetime. He missed out on most of the 2022-23 season, missed the college football playoffs, who knows what happens in Seattle and moving forward, playing the semifinal vs. Georgia may be the biggest game he could have ever played in and he didn't. These kids just don't understand what they are missing until it's gone.
And these guys that are worried about injury? Titans all pro d lineman Jeffrey Simmons tore his ACL in February training for the 2019 NFL draft, just because you miss games doesn't mean you can't get hurt.

Only THREE opted out at UGA. And they were ALL injured. Jamon Dumas Johnson (MLB) Ra Ra Thomas (WR) and Brock Bowers. (TE) Brock Vandergriff was not on the roster, as he had already transferred to Ole Kentuck.