Highland clinches playoff berth

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Barring cancellations and forfeits:

Highland has clinched a spot.

As long as Joe Eitel is right about the maximums and minimums, Highland has already clinched a spot.

* Highland's minimum is 21.35 while losing out (ie losing to Cloverleaf).
* There are eight teams whose maximum is higher than that.
* Cloverleaf is one of those teams.
* For Cloverleaf to max out, Buckeye would have to beat Keystone.
* Highland also gains 4.5 level 2 points from a Buckeye victory.
* With that Buckeye win, Highland would still be higher than Cloverleaf.

So barring cancellations and forfeits, Highland has already clinched a spot because only 7 teams can possibly surpass their minimum point total.

Barring cancellations and forfeits:

Highland has clinched a spot.

As long as Joe Eitel is right about the maximums and minimums, Highland has already clinched a spot.

* Highland's minimum is 21.35 while losing out (ie losing to Cloverleaf).
* There are eight teams whose maximum is higher than that.
* Cloverleaf is one of those teams.
* For Cloverleaf to max out, Buckeye would have to beat Keystone.
* Highland also gains 4.5 level 2 points from a Buckeye victory.
* With that Buckeye win, Highland would still be higher than Cloverleaf.

So barring cancellations and forfeits, Highland has already clinched a spot because only 7 teams can possibly surpass their minimum point total.

Thanks for that Yappi! That makes sense...

Hornets playoff-bound for the 2nd straight year! First back-to-back trips since 2000/2001!

:party:

I wouldnt doubt a third year in a row next season-even without the almighty maz

I agree it is possible. They are slowly building a tradition - and that is the type of thing that can carry a program in the lean years, or help you bounce back from one bad season. I think 2011 will be better than 2010. But we will see. Time will tell....

Definitely possible.

-Scholle is going to be something special.
-We've got some linemen coming back from a line that has all of a sudden become pretty great!
-Potential for the skill positions to be filled. This is the key... As mentioned, as tradition builds kids are more likely to step up and work hard to make something of their own Senior year.

That North Royalton game really sticks in my craw. There were some horrendous calls in that game - combined with the fact that we just flat ran out of gas defensively late in the game. A win there and we are sitting with the number one seed. I suppose it doesn't matter. We are in now - so it is all about beating whoever they put in front of you. I guess I should be happy that game didn't keep us out entirely.

Your correct about building a tradition. Wait until you see some of the athletes coming up to middle school ball next year. (dont be surprised to see a 7th grade team) There are currently 400 football players in the youth program, and each year there are more!! Stay tuned sports fans!

Definitely possible.

-Scholle is going to be something special.
-We've got some linemen coming back from a line that has all of a sudden become pretty great!
-Potential for the skill positions to be filled. This is the key... As mentioned, as tradition builds kids are more likely to step up and work hard to make something of their own Senior year.

I remember when my middle son played varsity rec football in highland just a few short years ago. We had 1 team and it had 17 kids on it. Walked through the rec practices a month or so ago with my other son that plays high school ball now, we were amazed. Just loved to see what is coming up. Good job Highland.

If the Hornets win Friday, I predict we likely get Ravenna at home in the first round. Ashland (if they lose to Lexington) and Walsh are also possibilities. The only team I think we can't beat in this region is Lake Catholic. We would be a long shot to beat them. Of course if we lose Friday we could be playing almost anyone in round one other than the top 2 seeds.

Looks like if Warren Howland wins, Highland will finish 7th and be headed out to Warren Howland.

If Howland loses, Highland would be 6th and then they would be facing Ashland/Canfield/West Geauga.

Howland plays Warren JFK (D6) on Saturday. My guess is that Highland should be scouting that game tomorrow for their next opponent.

How will you compete in the play-offs when you could'nt tame the Bulldogs or rake the Leaf??
:Ohno:
:rolleyes:

The key word in this post is compete. Your Bulldogs will be sitting on the couch next week competing on the xbox or playstation. Congrats to them. The Hornets will be hitting pads out on the field trying to win a (real) game...

:Ohno:
:rolleyes:

The key word in this post is compete. Your Bulldogs will be sitting on the couch next week competing on the xbox or playstation. Congrats to them. The Hornets will be hitting pads out on the field trying to win a (real) game...

I dont know who, how or why they came up with this playoff system, but there is no way highland should be in the playoffs. :confused:

Tom was there Saturday doing exactly that Yappi. The biggest issue will be the injuries suffered on Sat. to our QB and Kory. The mental state of the players is going to be a huge issue. The focus right now is not football, and frankly I dont see how it could be.

Looks like if Warren Howland wins, Highland will finish 7th and be headed out to Warren Howland.

If Howland loses, Highland would be 6th and then they would be facing Ashland/Canfield/West Geauga.

Howland plays Warren JFK (D6) on Saturday. My guess is that Highland should be scouting that game tomorrow for their next opponent.

I dont know who, how or why they came up with this playoff system, but there is no way highland should be in the playoffs. :confused:

It's really pretty simple. But let me see if I can dumb it down so even you can understand it. When you beat several playoff bound football teams like Wadsworth, Rocky River, and Buckeye, you make the playoffs. If you happen to drop a game to a bottom feeder like Green, it really doesn't hurt you because they won't get you any points anyway.

The only teams that don't belong in the playoffs are the teams that didn't make it - like Green for example. Highland has proven they can beat even a seemingly unstoppable team (Wadsworth) when they play well.

Quit being such a hater. This group of kids and this community has been through a lot this week. If you can't say congratulations - then how about just shutting your trap and keeping your complaints on the Green thread.

Wait until you see some of the athletes coming up to middle school ball next year. (dont be surprised to see a 7th grade team)

They really should have a 7th grade team, though I think there were at least more "B" games this year than in the past. A lot of kids move up from youth in 7th grade and are used to the small teams and getting to play. When my junior was in 7th grade I think there were 2 "b" games and the coaches largely ignored the 7th graders. Not everyone who plays in 4th grade is going to be a star on Varsity someday, but you also don't want good kids to get frustrated and drop out of the game before they get to HS.