COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2024-2025

2-13 with a recent loss to Mizzou
Ya, I don’t want OSU to be playing in the SEC. They would have 2-3 losses every single season. They’ve shown already enough in bowl games that they cannot beat those teams. Just a completely different coached game down there. Thank God Michigan was able to at least slow them down some by beating Alabama.

Ya, I don’t want OSU to be playing in the SEC. They would have 2-3 losses every single season. They’ve shown already enough in bowl games that they cannot beat those teams. Just a completely different coached game down there. Thank God Michigan was able to at least slow them down some by beating Alabama.
Michigan would’ve gotten smoked by Georgia like they were in a pig roaster with an apple in their mouth.

Nah. Georgia with healthy versions of Bowers and McConkey would’ve smoked Michigan like Costanza smoked Riley with his Jerk Store joke.
Didn’t both of them play vs Bama though? I just checked and Bowers played the previous 2 games before Bama as well so if he were hurt then he wasn’t that hurt.

There’s nothing Georgia could have done vs Michigan that Alabama wasn’t already doing. Michigan was the best team in the country, there is no denying that.

Didn’t both of them play vs Bama though? I just checked and Bowers played the previous 2 games before Bama as well so if he were hurt then he wasn’t that hurt.

There’s nothing Georgia could have done vs Michigan that Alabama wasn’t already doing. Michigan was the best team in the country, there is no denying that.
Both were limping and quite hobbled against Bama. It was primary reason Bama upset them.

There are various lawsuits over NIL regulation and back pay for athletes who were denied NIL under pre 2021 rules. Given that the NCAA and the conferences are likely to continue to lose in court, is direct university employment and payment of athletes just around the corner?

There are various lawsuits over NIL regulation and back pay for athletes who were denied NIL under pre 2021 rules. Given that the NCAA and the conferences are likely to continue to lose in court, is direct university employment and payment of athletes just around the corner?
Another step in the dismantling of college football as we know it. The have nots will have to form their own organization or drop football all together. The haves will be basically a pro football league.

Another step in the dismantling of college football as we know it. The have nots will have to form their own organization or drop football all together. The haves will be basically a pro football league.
Pretty much. The NCAA and the Power 4 conferences see the handwriting on the wall that they will lose in court and thus lose any ability to regulate college sport. Negotiating a court approved "settlement" would keep some power with the NCAA and conferences while satisfying the plaintiffs compensation demands. Such a deal if approved in federal courts would take precedence over the differing state laws and restore some order to the wild west of NIL.

As you point out, such a settlement would be a first step towards professional college football. Many questions remain though on how the have not programs and how non revenue sports and women's sports would change.

Where will the universities come up with the money? I know at Ohio State they could just dismantle the largest DEI department in the country and find plenty of money.

Where will the universities come up with the money? I know at Ohio State they could just dismantle the largest DEI department in the country and find plenty of money.
That's the rub. The power schools will have to adjust expenses to match outgo including less income due to revenue sharing.

Are limits on college football scholarships the next victim of NIL and the litigation against the NCAA?

The link is a synopsis of a pay walled article from the Athletic. The gist is some schools like Michigan used NIL to legally get around scholarship limits. The depth created and experience stockpiled aided the Wolverines in achieving their national championship, Stalions non withstanding.

Throw in the ever mounting legal challenges against the NCAA for restraint of trade, I can see a situation in college football where the only rule about player personnel is that there are no rules.

Thoughts?

TV revenue, jersey sales, tix. sales. Plus, NIL is not going away however schools will have control over the NIL deals directly not collectives.

How times have changed.

In my thinking that was why Bjork was hired as the new AD instead of a Gene Smith "safe approach" clone. Get with the program or get left behind. Sad for old guys.