Cincinnati kids playing college soccer?

In honor of CUP's recent announcement of their brand new Boy$ 8U Developmental Program, they also reported how they have (so far) placed 33 boys from their oldest two age groups into college programs. A couple kids went to BGSU. Another went to Bellarmine. Congrats! I have no idea what type of scholarships they received - but Graydosh is paying his way at Indiana. They also reported kids were going to two pricey, private non-scholarship D3 programs.

$occer Club$ should have some guarantee or refund program in place to better justify their services

In honor of CUP's recent announcement of their brand new Boy$ 8U Developmental Program, they also reported how they have (so far) placed 33 boys from their oldest two age groups into college programs. A couple kids went to BGSU. Another went to Bellarmine. Congrats! I have no idea what type of scholarships they received - but Graydosh is paying his way at Indiana. They also reported kids were going to two pricey, private non-scholarship D3 programs.

$occer Club$ should have some guarantee or refund program in place to better justify their services
Now we are putting down club soccer because they aren't guaranteeing kids soccer scholarship money? 😒 sigh

You guys are a trip on here. This ain't football or basketball. Good luck getting scholarship money, especially full rides. And I don't know personally, but if Gaydosh isn't getting soccer money at IU I'm pretty sure he's getting academic money. I believe he's a +4.0gpa student.

Now we are putting down club soccer because they aren't guaranteeing kids soccer scholarship money? 😒 sigh

You guys are a trip on here. This ain't football or basketball. Good luck getting scholarship money, especially full rides. And I don't know personally, but if Gaydosh isn't getting soccer money at IU I'm pretty sure he's getting academic money. I believe he's a +4.0gpa student.

What should these families expect then for $20k+/yr in soccer club expenses?

AAU basketball doesn't cost anywhere near that.

What should these families expect then for $20k+/yr in soccer club expenses?

AAU basketball doesn't cost anywhere near that.
Honestly? If you're paying a lot for any sport you should expect that you're kid's development will be helped to reach its maximum potential. That's it. Now, each kid's maximum potential is vastly different. Some parents have kids that are, at best, gifted with average athletic talent, yet they pay to have them in the best clubs with the best training. It is not on ANYONE to make a kid more than he is, or even more important, who he wants to be. No amount of money or parent's prayers will change that.

Are you saying that clubs should evaluate a kid's talent at whatever age, 5-18, and tell the parent, "Your kid isnt good enough, we won't take your money,"? Is it on McDonald's to evaluate the health of a customer and say, "You are too overweight, we won't sell you this burger." Now, I do believe when kids get to the high school age and are looking for colleges, a club should be honest with the kid as to what is the best fit for him based on his skill level. Doesn't mean that family can't still ignore them and reach for the stars, but just like it's been their responsibility to look out for the kid's development in prior years, this continues that responsibility.

In my opinion, clubs are pretty damn honest with families. They are constantly evaluating them and putting them on teams and in trainings that they feel is the best fit for their kid. The larger clubs at least, which I think is where your anger is directed. The real problem is the parents not believing them and thinking their kid is better than he probably is.

Oh, and basketball? You're comparing apples to oranges.

I call BS…my only gripe is that I didn’t think of if first 🤣…who knew that otherwise logical upper middle and upper class parents would drop canoes full of cash for average athletes to play a sport…and be over promised on the outcomes? As a person who founded an aau basketball program (and my son is now a coach there) it is immediately obvious in aau how the pecking order is established…getting dunked on in 8th grade sets a very hard tone (although some parents are still delusional)…club soccer is a cash cow…for the players that just love to play it is fine..for the lower clubs…for the morons forking out 10k plus? Shame you can’t right that off your taxes as a legitimate loss.

Again, my point is becoming pro is no simple task. There is no easy to find way to make it happen. It is something that the tiniest percentage of kids will achieve no matter their path. I'm confused at how many are so upset that no clubs near you are offering an easy cheap way to be a pro, and because they aren't they must be cheating everyone.

Saw this today...
You've been way off in your commentary/belief on what I've said and how I've said it. Then, you go and follow or listen to Don. That just says enough.

I call BS…my only gripe is that I didn’t think of if first 🤣…who knew that otherwise logical upper middle and upper class parents would drop canoes full of cash for average athletes to play a sport…and be over promised on the outcomes? As a person who founded an aau basketball program (and my son is now a coach there) it is immediately obvious in aau how the pecking order is established…getting dunked on in 8th grade sets a very hard tone (although some parents are still delusional)…club soccer is a cash cow…for the players that just love to play it is fine..for the lower clubs…for the morons forking out 10k plus? Shame you can’t right that off your taxes as a legitimate loss.
I'm right with you up to that point. Clubs aren't promising an outcome except to maximize their kid's talent. It's the parents seeing success of older kids moving on to higher level past high school and assuming that means their kid will be doing the same by the time they graduate. When you assume...

When programs are cut, there aren't roster spots that just magically appear out of nowhere.

Add into that that roughly 50% of all college students go [maximum] 90 miles away from home, then the odds are even less -- especially when there aren't programs that are added when programs are cut.

Then, throw in that Thomas More now has 28 international players, which is probably the most they've ever had in a single season.

It's not always about "talent" as it can be about opportunities. When opportunities go away, the talent won't always end up on a roster.

Take these three programs (UC, CCU, TMU) as an example: maybe 90+ roster spots available (28 - UC, 30 - CCU, 40 - TMU). Take away the 58 from two programs cut and TMU now being very international, there are 76 less roster spots available for local players.
Let's take a look at the numbers again for 2023:

TMU -- 35 internationals, 28 domestic (63 total, 56% international)
Xavier -- 7 internationals, 1 local, 22 domestic ( 30 total, 23% international)
MSJ -- 2 internationals, 28 local, 3 domestic (33 total, 6% international)

Sorry for not breaking down the local/domestic with TMU. I decided to do that after I already went through TMU's roster and I didn't want to go back.

If we take these numbers and estimate, if UC, CCU, and Cincinnati State all had men's soccer again, we could see a rough estimate of 60 more domestic players playing locally. Of those, maybe it could be another 30-40 being Cincinnati-based players (including NKY). Total number of men's soccer roster spots lost in Cincinnati is still roughly 90 men's soccer players.

Several local 2024 grads are committed to Division 1 schools for soccer:

Drew Gaydosh (Centerville / CUP) - Indiana
Bradley Poppell (Moeller / CUP) - Air Force
Nolan Brice (Louisville / FCC) - Xavier
Mason Cooper (Moeller / CUP) - Xavier
Nick McHenry (Loveland / FCC) - Ohio State
Cole Evans (Springboro / Shattuck) - Ohio State
Charlie Ipshording (Indian Hill / KHA) - Xavier
Ty Gronostaj (Monroe / CUP) - NKU

It’s still early so there will likely be others that commit over the next few months. Cincinnati has good youth soccer and many kids do go on to play in college. Not to mention all the kids that do go on to play D2, D3 or NAIA soccer. We’ve had two teams win USYS National Championships and three of the kids above were part of those teams (Ty, Charlie and Mason). KHA and CUP often lose kids at younger ages to FCC and Crew as well. Both clubs do a good job of developing talent, but that doesn’t always mean kids will go pro or play in college.

It’s still early so there will likely be others that commit over the next few months. Cincinnati has good youth soccer and many kids do go on to play in college. Not to mention all the kids that do go on to play D2, D3 or NAIA soccer. We’ve had two teams win USYS National Championships and three of the kids above were part of those teams (Ty, Charlie and Mason). KHA and CUP often lose kids at younger ages to FCC and Crew as well. Both clubs do a good job of developing talent, but that doesn’t always mean kids will go pro or play in college.
That is good hear! Hopefully more schools will look domestically 😎

Adding to the list of local D1 commits above:

Tommy DeRoussel (Summit/OE) - George Mason
Alex Fee (Troy Christian/CUP) - Dayton

This is a great group of players with more to be announced I'm sure.