Bartending and cocktails

The neighbor next door has the sphere ice molds. I have to admit, I'm too lazy to bother making something like that.

Ice won't improve a cocktail but it can definitely make it worse. Please have clean water at the very least. Nothing worse than nasty water ice slowly seeping into your drink
I only use filtered cold water when I make my ice at home. I have thought about trying the cooler in the freezer method discussed in the article above to make crystal clear ice but usually do not have the space or motivation to follow through. Also size of the ice is important, certain cocktails are best with a single large cube and those that require stirring like martinis I like something with soft edges so you can get that good swirl going.

You can put the molds in the cooler filled with water as well. A little easier; a little less chiseling. It's just the slow freeze that makes them clear and more dense. Slower melt, less water in the cocktail. There aren't that many cocktail you make in the serving glass at I'm aware of, so the shape is more or less an aesthetic choice dependent mostly on the liquor and the shape/ type of glass.

Last edited:
I have heard from numerous bartenders that ice is the most underrated aspect to a great cocktail. Just saw this in the NY Times this morning:

The book:
I guess my recipe of water and cold won't cut it anymore...

someone passing shots this weekend, had gold in it. Schnapps I think. Whatever it was, it was good. Disappointed my poops didn't sparkle.
1690476127201.png

Completely forgot about 'schlager.

In my fraternity days, we had "families" of which we added to via our "little" brothers. On big brother night, you were introduced to a bottle of your family's drink. Thankfully, big brother night was followed by a day when I did not have class, but we always checked to make sure our "littles" didn't have anything school-related going on the next day before determining how much or little to let them drink.

The following "families" existed: Goldschlager, Southern Comfort, Early Times, the "40s" family, and maybe 1 more family that I can't recall. The 40s family required the consumption 4 40s plus a shot of either Jack or Jim.

I was part of the Early Times family. Absolutely vile drink!

I have experience in restaurants, hotels, and private parties. My home bar has all the standard liquors and liqueurs and a few uncommon items that catch my eye. I know the recipes to all the standard cocktails by heart plus tons of other more specific cocktails that you might not know.

Would I say I'm a "guru". Mmm, nah. I'd need a lot more knowledge before I could lead the tour group on the bourbon trail. But certainly well above average experience, interest.
What kind of booze you think would go good with Metamucil? Asking for a friend.

What kind of booze you think would go good with Metamucil? Asking for a friend

I appear to have stumped the gooroos. Ok, another question. Ice cream. Irish cream or Kalua, work good on Vanilla and double chocolate. What might I try on a Lemon, Mango, Pineapple, or a Coconut Ice Cream? Any combos striking anyone's mental taste buds? Milk shakes with the coconut or mango tickle my parts but I'm thinking I'd like a bit of zing.

I appear to have stumped the gooroos. Ok, another question. Ice cream. Irish cream or Kalua, work good on Vanilla and double chocolate. What might I try on a Lemon, Mango, Pineapple, or a Coconut Ice Cream? Any combos striking anyone's mental taste buds? Milk shakes with the coconut or mango tickle my parts but I'm thinking I'd like a bit of zing.
I'm no doctor, but I would not recommend mixing alcohol with a fiber supplement.

As for ice cream, it's up to your taste I imagine. I can't think of a desert-like flavor that doesn't have a corresponding liqueur. There are plenty of great fruit liqueurs, but if you're wanting a good contrast and not pure fruit on fruit, go with Frangelico (hazelnut), amaretto (almond) Drambuie (whiskey, honey, spices), Amarula (cream-based with caramel and vanilla). Of those, Drambuie is as high proof as standard liquor, if that's what you're looking for. Or you could use flavored vodka that matches your ice cream flavor or Malibu coconut rum. Or perhaps a splash of a spiced rum.

Last edited:
Was in Cincy for a wedding and for a night cap we hit up a place that had a nice whiskey list. I am one that tends to drink whiskey/bourbon/scotch only straight so always thought rye was more for mixed drinks, was talked into trying a nice one the place just got over a large cube and ended up liking it a lot. Forget the name as it was midnight after a long day's festivities; had a "tobacco" spicy thing going on that was nice. Looking to expand now into the category, any rye drinkers out there have something I should try in the moderate price range?

Was in Cincy for a wedding and for a night cap we hit up a place that had a nice whiskey list. I am one that tends to drink whiskey/bourbon/scotch only straight so always thought rye was more for mixed drinks, was talked into trying a nice one the place just got over a large cube and ended up liking it a lot. Forget the name as it was midnight after a long day's festivities; had a "tobacco" spicy thing going on that was nice. Looking to expand now into the category, any rye drinkers out there have something I should try in the moderate price range?

I'm still pretty much a newbie in terms of whisky/bourbon and even more green when it comes to rye, but I have two ryes in my collection that I do like.

One was probably over priced ($100 or so), the Angel's Envy, but I chalk up that splurge due to being at the distillery this past spring and tasting it on their tour. It is really good, but probably not considered in the "moderate" price range.

The other one, I found when I was at a conference in Indiana. Down the street from the hotel was a wine and liquor shop where I ended up spending like 20 minutes talking to the worker there about some more unique offerings they had. I ended up buying a double rye from High West (out of Utah, of all places). It was a barrel pick, so specific to their store, but in doing more research into High West, it seems that most of their double ryes are all pretty highly rated (and fairly available). I think I paid like $60 for that bottle and it's become one of my favorites.

I'm still pretty much a newbie in terms of whisky/bourbon and even more green when it comes to rye, but I have two ryes in my collection that I do like.

One was probably over priced ($100 or so), the Angel's Envy, but I chalk up that splurge due to being at the distillery this past spring and tasting it on their tour. It is really good, but probably not considered in the "moderate" price range.
It's hard to be cheap when you've taken the tour.

The other one, I found when I was at a conference in Indiana. Down the street from the hotel was a wine and liquor shop where I ended up spending like 20 minutes talking to the worker there about some more unique offerings they had. I ended up buying a double rye from High West (out of Utah, of all places). It was a barrel pick, so specific to their store, but in doing more research into High West, it seems that most of their double ryes are all pretty highly rated (and fairly available). I think I paid like $60 for that bottle and it's become one of my favorites.
I have a collection of little samplers I buy when I take tours. Scotch from Glenlivet, Becherovka, Silvovic, various wines from flights., my favorite is a glass from the REAL Budweiser. When I croak, buddies are supposed to drink. One buddy been eyeing that Glenlivit a little too hard.

Last edited:
Supervisor at work said he tried a Peanut Butter Whiskey by Skrewball. I’m not a liquor guy at all but he told me it was extremely smooth. I do need to branch out, but I just like that burn going down after a sip or shot. Anyone had this or anything like this?

Supervisor at work said he tried a Peanut Butter Whiskey by Skrewball. I’m not a liquor guy at all but he told me it was extremely smooth. I do need to branch out, but I just like that burn going down after a sip or shot. Anyone had this or anything like this?

I just saw a YouTube video today of a Bourbon "expert" who said he'd never touch Screwball, but did recommend Magic Rabbit Whiskey. Said it's chocolate peanut butter whisky and that it's pretty good (70 proof). I'm thinking of picking up a bottle this weekend to give it a try.

I just saw a YouTube video today of a Bourbon "expert" who said he'd never touch Screwball, but did recommend Magic Rabbit Whiskey. Said it's chocolate peanut butter whisky and that it's pretty good (70 proof). I'm thinking of picking up a bottle this weekend to give it a try.
Please let me know how it goes down.

Please let me know how it goes down.
Picked it up last night. Was in Giant Eagle buying a few things and there just happened to be a guy from Cleveland Whisky doing samples of it. As the guy said, it’s good for what it is. It’s not complicated - it’s a tasty chocolate peanut butter whisky. A good after dinner drink or something that would be good in coffee. Only $25, so not a bad deal

I guess I’m so oblivious to all these flavored liquors since I’m a beer guy. Went out Saturday night and the place had a PBandJ moonshine whiskey. I ordered a shot and just sipped it. With a clean palate I could certainly drink one, but If you do love the flavor of peanut butter and jelly this is the drink for you. No burn but could tell there was alcohol in it.

You can put the molds in the cooler filled with water as well. A little easier; a little less chiseling. It's just the slow freeze that makes them clear and more dense. Slower melt, less water in the cocktail. There aren't that many cocktail you make in the serving glass at I'm aware of, so the shape is more or less an aesthetic choice dependent mostly on the liquor and the shape/ type of glass.
We have a new LG fridge and it makes pretty good clear spheres, but there is something about chiseling the cubes from a larger block of ice.

A neighbor of mine had the idea of getting a group together and developing our own homemade bourbon advent calendar (2 oz pours).

Of course, he ended up making a whole project out of it, first in developing what bottles we were going to include, then having everyone vote off bottles, etc. Then, of course, we had to acquire all of it. My neighbor ended up buying 18 bottles in one day (four different locations). He did laugh at one place where he bought like 11 bottles at one time and the clerk didn't even bat an eye. :ROFLMAO:

We're putting it all together on Saturday during the OSU-UM game at his house. Really looking forward to it. Here's the list of bottles we ended up with:

Bardstown Bourbon Company Fusion Series
Belle Meade 108
Bib and Tucker 6 Year
Bookers
Chicken Cock
Coopers' Craft
Four Roses single barrel
Frey Ranch
Michters unblended
New Riff Single Barrel
Old Forester 1897 - Bottled in bond
Old Forester Statesman
Old Forester Whiskey Row Series: 1920
Old Soul
Peerless
Pinhook
Rabbit Hole Dareinger Sherry Cask
Russell's single barrel
Watershed - Bottled in bond
Weller Antique
Whistlepig Piggyback
Wild Turkey Rare breed barrel proof
Willet Pot Still Reserve

There's a cool documentary out called Hey Bartender. Haven't seen it in years. Fun quick watch. Doesn't really focus on cocktails but more so on the life of being a bartender. I worked as one for about 8 years. Really enjoyed it and kinda wish I would've kept doing it.

It chronicles some bartenders in NYC. It will definitely have you wanting to check out this place.

Definitely worth a watch on a slow night.

There's a cool documentary out called Hey Bartender. Haven't seen it in years. Fun quick watch. Doesn't really focus on cocktails but more so on the life of being a bartender. I worked as one for about 8 years. Really enjoyed it and kinda wish I would've kept doing it.

It chronicles some bartenders in NYC. It will definitely have you wanting to check out this place.

Definitely worth a watch on a slow night.
Its on YouTube if you want to watch this.

I too tended bar but for private parties as part of dad's catering business. Much different than working a traditional bar for many reasons but primarily since the patrons were not paying for the drinks thigs could go in a variety of directions. I would always ask the person who was paying for the event if he wanted a fun party, a quiet deal, or something in between. Usually it was something in between and if so I would read the room and decide which direction this thing should go in, the bartender does control the party. I liked it but there was some times where I felt like I was put in uncomfortable positions, namely folks that were hammered wanting more booze or getting the keys to their car from the valet and me not having the balls to say anything because they were pillars of the community. Also had a couple "drowsy" older married women hit on me in front of the party which was not cool, I was also the heavy for our female servers if they were getting harassed. The '80s were differnt times for sure...

Its on YouTube if you want to watch this.

I too tended bar but for private parties as part of dad's catering business. Much different than working a traditional bar for many reasons but primarily since the patrons were not paying for the drinks thigs could go in a variety of directions. I would always ask the person who was paying for the event if he wanted a fun party, a quiet deal, or something in between. Usually it was something in between and if so I would read the room and decide which direction this thing should go in, the bartender does control the party. I liked it but there was some times where I felt like I was put in uncomfortable positions, namely folks that were hammered wanting more booze or getting the keys to their car from the valet and me not having the balls to say anything because they were pillars of the community. Also had a couple "drowsy" older married women hit on me in front of the party which was not cool, I was also the heavy for our female servers if they were getting harassed. The '80s were differnt times for sure...
Funny you say this.

The bar I worked for also catered private events and they were high end as we were a high end bar in the Old Deep South so the parties were for old Southern Money people. Ran into many of the same type of things and this was around 2010. Definitely lots of bored and lonely Southern Housewives out there.