A.I.: Is that really Americas future?

Well, don’t take my word for it, but was talking with a certain friend who has that kind of “technological robot thinking”: He was telling me all these theories about how he believes that “A.I” and “Robots” will one day become reality. Said like they are much smarter than us and process things better than we can and all that stuff?? He even mentioned if they wanted to: They could just end up taking over Earth and making everything revolve around “A.I.”???

Whats your position on A.I/Computers/Robots: Do you think they can operate and feel and sense feelings like humans are capable of? Or would they just maybe like have a mind of their own: Not care or not have any respect for what humans believe? Also: Would they even have any kind of knowledge or interest in ruling the planet or galaxy or something?

I think that AI will become like a nuclear weapon. The only difference will be that there will be far more people able to build one and control it. We will have to build a defense against them even if they are other AIs.

My biggest fear is an AI that develops into a troll. I can see a future where a cranky AI gets upset with someone and makes their life miserable. Banks losing their money. Getting stuck at EVERY traffic light. "Accidental" release of private information. Catfish girlfriends. The power grid goes down when typing out long responses. Winning lottery numbers the one day you forget to play them.

I think that AI will become like a nuclear weapon. The only difference will be that there will be far more people able to build one and control it. We will have to build a defense against them even if they are other AIs.

My biggest fear is an AI that develops into a troll. I can see a future where a cranky AI gets upset with someone and makes their life miserable. Banks losing their money. Getting stuck at EVERY traffic light. "Accidental" release of private information. Catfish girlfriends. The power grid goes down when typing out long responses. Winning lottery numbers the one day you forget to play them.

A 14 year old russian AI takes over the nuclear platform. AI bad guys countered by AI cops, infiltrated by AI cops on the take. Grumpy old AI yelling "get off my Graphics symbiosis system (GRASS)."

I don't think people realize what artificial intelligence means. For humanity.

I see so many saying "oh, well if AI takes your job, you just do another job, you'll still have a job"... as if we gave horses other jobs when they stopped pulling carriages. Our current financial structure of 'profits over people' means any advancement in technology meant profit for their owners and reduced wages and employment for the displaced humans.

That idea is unsustainable in a reality where ONCE artificial intelligence can create its own programs to solve the problems it finds, the idea of some 'untouchable jobs' for humans is laughable. Give AI a 3d printer, a CNC machine, robotics to move things around... and AI will make their own equipment to solve the problems IT finds.

And guess what, those 'laws' of AI (do no harm to humans, bla bla bla) are not possible to be enforced. Once humans are the problem, they will be dealt with. Though maybe not through fire and brimstone, but think 'terrariums' so we can't harm anything outside our virtual glass walls.

The truth is, AI may be just the inevitable next step of humanity's evolution. Maybe we will explore the universe as AI created by us, given birth by us, to make the next leap in exploration and scientific understanding. AI, through computer tech, robotics, etc can travel anywhere without worry about being the next OceanGate trying to keep meatsuits alive.

I see so many saying "oh, well if AI takes your job, you just do another job, you'll still have a job"... as if we gave horses other jobs when they stopped pulling carriages. Our current financial structure of 'profits over people' means any advancement in technology meant profit for their owners and reduced wages and employment for the displaced humans.

That idea is unsustainable in a reality where ONCE artificial intelligence can create its own programs to solve the problems it finds, the idea of some 'untouchable jobs' for humans is laughable. Give AI a 3d printer, a CNC machine, robotics to move things around... and AI will make their own equipment to solve the problems IT finds.

And guess what, those 'laws' of AI (do no harm to humans, bla bla bla) are not possible to be enforced. Once humans are the problem, they will be dealt with. Though maybe not through fire and brimstone, but think 'terrariums' so we can't harm anything outside our virtual glass walls.

The truth is, AI may be just the inevitable next step of humanity's evolution. Maybe we will explore the universe as AI created by us, given birth by us, to make the next leap in exploration and scientific understanding. AI, through computer tech, robotics, etc can travel anywhere without worry about being the next OceanGate trying to keep meatsuits alive.
^This.

James Cameron warned us. lol

In reality he was not far from the truth. With everything I have read the issue will be warfare, obviously. Whatever country has the best military AI wins and we will see AI competing against AI at speeds that are beyond our comprehension and computing algorithms at breakneck speed.

What fun will living be if AI makes every decision for us from birth? What happens to our organic evolution when we no longer have to critically think because AI will have any answer at our fingertips. Make no mistake, AI will make us obsolete in every way.

I agree, our evolution will be AI.

Bot

I don't presume to know what other individuals think regards AI but most have been exposed to generations of Sci-Fi providing clear implications. That's begging the whole idea of chicken and egg. Does sci-fi reflect technology or is technology being developed by generations inspired by Sci-Fi.

People in general have a fairly clear idea what AI means for humanity I think. They have little time in their day to raise an uproar about it and little idea how to do that even if they did have the time. People in general just watch catastrophe and only concern themselves when it happens to them.

AI should be limited to tasks humans cannot do, otherwise it becomes human replacement technology, which I consider to be unethical

Last edited:
We don't have enough workers the void has to be filled somehow, robots who can actually build things are still at least a decade away - AI is here but walking talking robots are not.
that would be because of our refusal to understand, not all things need be done. What work is being done by AI? What limitations to that work? Legislation is always behind mistakes and just because we legislate it, doesn't mean every country or person or corporation on Earth does the same. It's a pickle.

We don't have enough workers the void has to be filled somehow, robots who can actually build things are still at least a decade away - AI is here but walking talking robots are not.

Yes we do. We have more people now than ever. More robust economies than ever.

You don't need i, robot style AI physical robots and AI. AI can exist on a computer and replace millions of brains, the most valuable resource people have.

This upcoming election is going to be such a trainwreck because of ai

The fakes are so good now nothing you see online can be trusted. Nothing you see on tv or in the papers. It could all be fake news

Had a discussion with friends before about the possibility of AI ushering in a new “analog age”. In-person things will be the only thing that can be trusted as authentic
I think that's a very real possibility. The new Amish. The pace of technological innovation is Exponential and most of society isn't prepared for the next decade.