3 Person field event meets.

NEOYO

Currently doing research for our next track season and trying to get a list together of relay meets or invitationals that take 3 field event athletes. We have some depth in events and want to give more kids a chance.

Currently doing research for our next track season and trying to get a list together of relay meets or invitationals that take 3 field event athletes. We have some depth in events and want to give more kids a chance.
East Canton has a relay meet with 3 for each field event. Has an opening for this year. The meet is this weekend. It’s short and sweet. Starts at 10 am and last event is run at 1:30. Good for prom time as all can be home byefore 3 pm. Go on milesplit to check it out.

Mid-April (7 weeks prior to State, IIRC) - Walsh Jesuit's Hasenstab Relays offers a full compliment of running relays, 1 individual per open running event, and 3 entrants per field event that will be scored as a relay. This meet would be a good choice if you have a large roster of athletes to cover all of the events.

Last Friday in April - Carrollton's Larry Cogan Warrior Invitational allows 3 entrants in all events in order to help coaches continue to evaluate their athletes for the postseason. It's a pretty good meet for D2/D3 schools, and the kids don't mind getting out of school early to attend it. :)

Last Friday in April - (Massillon) Perry's 9th/10th grade invitational allows 3 entrants in all events. The meet is a good choice if your school has prom on that weekend. The meet can also be a good confidence builder for your underclassmen to see that they stack up quite well when the upperclassmen are not around. Beware that the 9th/10th grade tag usually does not mean JV-level competition. Many of these underclassmen can bring it!

1st Saturday in May - Woodridge Wrap-Up allows 3 entrants in all events in order to help coaches make those last-minute evaluations before reaching the "championship" portion of the season (league, district, regional, and state). The meet can be long due to the amount of teams and competitors, but I always enjoyed it in the years that my school attended. Being on the fringe of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park also offers parents something else to do after their kids are done competing on days when the weather is good.

With so many invites just going with 4 throws or 4 jumps and no finals, would it really be an issue to go to 3 field event entries in let's say, Shot, Discus, Long Jump?

The Comet Relays (Amherst) has 3 person field event relays.

Thank you for that reference. I'm in the slow process of building all-time field event relay lists to at least 20-deep, as well as the record-progression of each event. Building off of while confirming the late Craig Whitmore's data into a deeper, more easy-to-verify database for statisticians of the future. Currently documenting the 30-year run of the old Ohio Wesleyan Relays (1932-61) as they might be the first meet to feature 3-person field event relays.

Thank you for that reference. I'm in the slow process of building all-time field event relay lists to at least 20-deep, as well as the record-progression of each event. Building off of while confirming the late Craig Whitmore's data into a deeper, more easy-to-verify database for statisticians of the future. Currently documenting the 30-year run of the old Ohio Wesleyan Relays (1932-61) as they might be the first meet to feature 3-person field event relays.
The Ohio Wesleyan Relays is where the the Comets came from. Legendary area coach Jack Wilhelm (Amherst, South Amherst, LCCC, and the longtime NEO District XC Meet director) took kids to the Wesleyan meet in 1954, then started the Comet Relays in 1955. 68 editions later, we hope he - and Coach Cooley - can look down on us and be pleased with where things are.

Eastwood Relays is also a 3 person.

The Ohio Wesleyan Relays is where the the Comets came from. Legendary area coach Jack Wilhelm (Amherst, South Amherst, LCCC, and the longtime NEO District XC Meet director) took kids to the Wesleyan meet in 1954, then started the Comet Relays in 1955. 68 editions later, we hope he - and Coach Cooley - can look down on us and be pleased with where things are.
Thank you for that bit of history. Springfield HS won 11 of the 30 large school editions of the OWU relays, and when that meet came to an end, Springfield began their relay meet. I haven't delved into that meet yet, but I have looked at the 3-man relays of the Fulton Relays from the 1960s-early 80s, which seems to be the heyday of that meet. Great stuff folks.

As a short tangent note, about a month ago I started compiling meet/date information for major meets of the first half of the 20th century in Ohio. I'm doing that not only for my research purposes, but will post it (probably later this year) for others to do their own research.