2024 MLB General Chat

The quotes around "injuries" indicate that you do think players, teams and doctors are faking it!! Incredible. I'm guessing you have a tin foil hat. They are not faking injuries.

a) Players want to play, they want to compete, they want to win. It is how they got to an elite level.
b) Teams eat the $$$ on this. Fully guaranteed contracts in the MLB. There is zero reason for teams to fake injuries and still pay guys.

Re: your questions about insurance. The only time insurance kicks in is if a team buys an insurance policy on the player's contract, to help offset the risk. Teams do not buy policies on every player's contract; it is too expensive. Some teams buy no insurance ever, others buy it on their most risky contracts only.

The premiums cost about 10% of the annual contract. So if you give a player a $10M per year contract for 3 years, the Premium would be about $1M per year for the insurance policy. Expensive insurance - adds 10% to your team payroll to cover every contract. Also, the policy does not cover 100% of the player's salary - they usually cover 50%-80% of the player's salary, depending on the policy.

So no, teams would not allow fake injuries for financial reasons. And if they did want to fake an injury when they have a players' contract insured, that would be insurance fraud. I can 100% guarantee you if a team tried to make a $30M insurance claim, the insurance company would send in their own doctors, and somebody would be going to jail.

So please just drop the crazy conspiracy theory.
Thanks for the insurance lesson. I've heard some player contracts have insurance. Do players want to play? To me it doesn't always seem that way because many of these guys either don't get second opinions or never seem to try to push through ANY injuries. I'm not necessarily saying injuries are fake, it just seems like many of these guys are continually hurt. And for some, they are healthy all the way up to draft day and their first few years in the majores and then they are constantly injured. Just makes you think.