2023-24 Free Agency Discussion

I feel like the above article should be required reading for @Maple_City_Fan before the conversation continues. There are plenty of expenditures to run a professional baseball operation, not just player payroll.
Of course. I don't require an article to tell me this

Breaking from Dodgers Nation, Josh Hader agrees to 5 yr, $95 million with Trashtros

Dodgers were interested , but not at the price he was requesting

Breaking news, every team was interested, but not at the price he was asking.
Nah, I had it correct. The others realize it's wasted energy, and Dodgers, contrary what some think(you), don't spend for sake of spending. Part of reason it's a well-ran Organ-I-zation(pardon my Canadian)

Speaking of Canadian, Dodgers reportedly agree to deal with James Paxton for 1 year, 12 million
Paxton has not pitched 100 innings in a season since 2019. Last year in 96 innings he had a 4.50 ERA and gave up 18 HR. Dodgers being smart shoppers once again.

Paxton has not pitched 100 innings in a season since 2019. Last year in 96 innings he had a 4.50 ERA and gave up 18 HR. Dodgers being smart shoppers once again.
He started off well last year until injury bug sat in. Yes, he didn't finish strong. Still better than Lance Lynn

Dodgers have a history developing Pitchers. High strikeout rate, and is left-handed which LA has a shortage with Kershaw on the shelf(assuming he doesn't leave) and Urias being done.

Low risk, high reward

He started off well last year until injury bug sat in. Yes, he didn't finish strong. Still better than Lance Lynn

Dodgers have a history developing Pitchers. High strikeout rate, and is left-handed which LA has a shortage with Kershaw on the shelf(assuming he doesn't leave) and Urias being done.

Low risk, high reward
36 year old injury prone pitcher for $12M is low risk. Got it, my bad.

Jeff Passan wrote a (paywalled) article on ESPN about the slow-as-molasses market. He pointed out that all of these names are still out there as of today:

Starting pitchers:

Blake Snell
Jordan Montgomery
Clayton Kershaw
Hyun Jin Ryu
Michael Lorenzen
Mike Clevinger
Zack Greinke

Relievers:

David Robertson
Hector Neris
Phil Maton
Wandy Peralta
Adam Ottavino

DH:

Jorge Soler
J.D. Martinez
Justin Turner
Joc Pederson
Joey Votto

Outfield:

Cody Bellinger
Adam Duvall
David Peralta
Robbie Grossman
Randal Grichuk
Tommy Pham
Michael A. Taylor

Infielder:

Matt Chapman
Tim Anderson
Whit Merrifield
Amed Rosario

I’m sure there are plenty of other fringe players waiting for a deal, too. Things are going to have to get in motion soon.

Jeff Passan wrote a (paywalled) article on ESPN about the slow-as-molasses market. He pointed out that all of these names are still out there as of today:

Starting pitchers:

Blake Snell
Jordan Montgomery
Clayton Kershaw
Hyun Jin Ryu
Michael Lorenzen
Mike Clevinger
Zack Greinke

Relievers:

David Robertson
Hector Neris
Phil Maton
Wandy Peralta
Adam Ottavino

DH:

Jorge Soler
J.D. Martinez
Justin Turner
Joc Pederson
Joey Votto

Outfield:

Cody Bellinger
Adam Duvall
David Peralta
Robbie Grossman
Randal Grichuk
Tommy Pham
Michael A. Taylor

Infielder:

Matt Chapman
Tim Anderson
Whit Merrifield
Amed Rosario

I’m sure there are plenty of other fringe players waiting for a deal, too. Things are going to have to get in motion soon.
Wow. I could take these guys, make a 26 man roster, and probably win a pennant.

If I’m a big-time player and I see Scott Boras’s top four free agents unsigned with spring training underway, I’d consider getting a different agent. Why play a giant game of chicken with all your biggest clients?

If I’m a big-time player and I see Scott Boras’s top four free agents unsigned with spring training underway, I’d consider getting a different agent. Why play a giant game of chicken with all your biggest clients?
Right? I know Boras has gotten some guys a lot of money, but I'm sure every one of his clients just wish they were on a team in spring training, and knew where they were going to live for the next few years.

If my choices are:
a) "settle" for $100M over 4 years, and be in camp now, get my family settled in the new city
b) play chicken and hope I get a job for $150M over 5 years in a month or so

I would choose a) every time. Enough is enough. I know people say I'm "leaving money on the table", but honestly. Table a) is big enough. Give me some certainty...

Apparently the Yankees have an offer in to Snell that is being considered. Rotation would be Gerritt Cole, Snell, Rodon, Stroman and Cortes or Schmidt. Wow. Both Cy Youngs in the same rotation. With Soto, Judge and Rizzo in the lineup. Ooof.

Scott Boras essentially loses Game 1, as Cody Bellinger doesn’t get a long-term deal. Three years, $80 million with the Cubs, with opt outs after each year. Obviously that’s still generational wealth, but not the $200M+ deal that allegedly was being sought.

Scott Boras essentially loses Game 1, as Cody Bellinger doesn’t get a long-term deal. Three years, $80 million with the Cubs, with opt outs after each year. Obviously that’s still generational wealth, but not the $200M+ deal that allegedly was being sought.
Hopefully the other Boras guys settle for less and get onto teams. But I really wanted Bellinger to land outside the Central.