2023-2024 HS Indoor Track & Field Thread

JAVMAN83

With the new indoor season upon us this weekend, I kick things off by posting my up-to-date lists of both boys & girls all-time indoor track & field records.

Attachments

• Ohio High School - Indoor Track & Field - Boys - as of 5 December 2023.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Ohio High School - Indoor Track & Field - Girls - as of 1 December 2023.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 53

Notable results from opening weekend that I noticed at Findlay

Freshman Jamier Averette-Brown (Huber Heights Wayne) goes 6.89 in 60m
State Champion Dai'Vontay Young (Dayton Dunbar) goes 7.97 in the 60mH
Senior Avion Miles (Findlay) goes 23'0.5 in the Long Jump
8th Grader Nia Poole (Dayton) won the 400m with a time of 59.91

Notable results from opening weekend that I noticed at Findlay

Freshman Jamier Averette-Brown (Huber Heights Wayne) goes 6.89 in 60m
State Champion Dai'Vontay Young (Dayton Dunbar) goes 7.97 in the 60mH
Senior Avion Miles (Findlay) goes 23'0.5 in the Long Jump
8th Grader Nia Poole (Dayton) won the 400m with a time of 59.91
Other notable results from this weekend:

Girls
@ Findlay
60m - Olivia Pace (Westerville Central - Sr.) - 7.45 sec. - Her #4 time ever, and the FASTEST ever run by an Ohio HSer on the opening weekend of a season. It is =15th all-time performance. Given Pace's 7.38 sec. PB from last year, she's close to breaking Steiner's Ohio record of 7.36 from 2018.

60m / 60mH - Ric'Keya White (Huber Heights Wayne - So.) - 7.56 sec. / 8.66 sec. - Only 0.01 seconds from each of her PBs of last year.

@ Akron
Weight Throw - Rileigh Scarvelli (Avon Lake - 8th grade) - 45' 10" - New Ohio 8th Grade Record. Old record 32' 6" from 2016, and ups Scarvelli's PB from last year's 41' 6 1/4".

Boys
@ Findlay
60mH / 60m - As was mentioned above, Dai'Vontai Young (Dayton Dunbar - Sr.) ran 7.97 sec. to win the hurdles. That moves him into an =21st all-time with his pair of 7.97s at Findlay (both prelims and final).

With the new indoor season upon us this weekend, I kick things off by posting my up-to-date lists of both boys & girls all-time indoor track & field records.
I apologize if I'm reading the list wrong, but Kaleb Nastari ran a 1:50.80 at Spire last year in the 800m.

I apologize if I'm reading the list wrong, but Kaleb Nastari ran a 1:50.80 at Spire last year in the 800m.
You are correct. Somehow, I missed both that performance and Nick Plant's legal-facility (200m or less) record of 1:50.70 from 2022 @ the Nike Indoor Nationals. Apox on ME. That's why I ask for feedback from the community. The spreadsheet I have compiled for all the lists hosts more than 20,000 individual marks currently, so it can get a bit overwhelming at times.

Thank you. The records have been updated.

Hi-lights of yesterday's Jackets' Holiday Indoor @ Mount Vernon:

Correction: Eric Pugh (Huber Heights Wayne - Jr) ups his best 4" in becoming the 26th Ohio boy over 16 feet in the pole vault with his 16' 0" win. Pugh now stands in an 8-way tie for #18 all-time. This broke his own school record of 15' 8" from the Midwest High Performance meet @ Indiana Tech on 9 December. That 15' 8" record broke a LONG-STANDING school record of 15' 6" set in 1975 by Ohio's first ever outdoor 16-footer, Les West! West's 15' 6" indoor best stood as the Ohio indoor record until 1982 when I witnessed Twin Valley North great, Matt Vermillion, clear 15' 7" at the old Quad States meet in Bloomington, IN on 20 February 1982. Vermillion went on to become Ohio's 2nd outdoor 16-footer, and the first indoor 16-footer in an early March '82 meet @ Bloomington.

Elijah Harris (Westerville Central - So) moves to #20 all-time indoors with his 45 ft even triple jump.

Brandt & Dillon Morlock (Creston Norwayne - Jr & Sr) - Teamed-up for a 1-2 finish at 66' 8" & 65' 10", respectively.

Katie McFarland (Sidney Lehman Catholic - Sr) becomes the first Ohio girl of the 2024 campaign to clear 12 feet in the pole vault.

Last edited:
Hi-light of yesterday's action I noticed immediately:

Kylee Zamecnik (Cuyahoga Falls Chrisitian Academy - Soph) upped her best by 2 feet from 2023 with her 38' 1 1/2" triple jump win at the Western Ohio Officials meet at ONU. That set a new Ohio sophomore record by 2 1/4", the old record being from way back in 1999 of 37' 11 1/4" by Wilmington's Desiree Jones set at the Nike Indoor Classic (Columbus) on 13 March 1999. Zamecnik already has the Ohio freshmen record of 36' 1 3/4" from the OATCCC indoor D2/D3 meet of last year.

Editorial Note:
Zamecnik jump is not listed as a meet record at the Western Ohio Official's meet. They list it as 39' 9 1/4" by Wayne's Ayana Williams from back in 2015. However, I will not carry that mark as legitimate. Why? Because in looking at all of Williams' other TJ career marks it becomes clear that she was a 33-35 foot jumper not capable of a 39' 9" jump. This is not a slight upon her in any sense, but upon a mark that I firmly believe was mis-recorded at the time of the performance. I suspect it was measured metrically as a mark just over 12 meters in length, when in actuality was very likely a mark just over 11 meters (low 36-foot range). The low 11 meter mark I can believe, but not the 12+ meter mark in any respect. Therefore, I have Williams' best on my lists as 35' 3 3/4" from back in 2014. This is not the first mark I've placed into the "very questionnable measurement" category.

Also, in looking at the results of that meet ( https://oh.milesplit.com/meets/5651...gh-school-indoor-track-and-field-2024/results ), but not the last meet I've noted this season, some of the field event series marks make absolutely no sense whatsover. I can't tell what Zamaecnik's series of marks or others were in any respect. I would encourage all timing companies or those producing results to at least do a quick purview of results to see if what they put out for general consumption as "making sense".

Last edited:
Noted hi-lights of this weekend noted:

Wittenberg #2

3200m (300m track) - 9:05.27 by Ben Gabelman (Westerville North - Sr) - top 20 all-time performer on combined short/long tracks
Pole Vault - 16' 8" by Eric Pugh (Wayne - Jr) - an 8" personal best moving him to #8 on the all-time Ohio indoor list and a Dayton-area record (previous, 16' 6" by Dalton Shepler (Vandalia Butler) back in 2019).

Kent State #4
Weight Throw (girls) - 51' 9" by Morgan Hallett (Norton - Sr) - moves her to #19 on the all-time Ohio HS list. Just ahead of her but not a high schooler yet is young phenom Rileigh Scarvelli (Avon Lake - 8th grade) with her 51' 11" best at Tiffin.

Missed hi-lights of the previous weekend:

CYUP Misfits Invite (Chicago)
60m - 7.42 sec. by Olivia Pace (Westerville Central - Ohio Heat TC - Sr). This equals her 3rd best time ever. Only Pace and Abby Steiner have ever run under 7.43 seconds with 12 races between them sub-7.43....7 by Steiner, and 5 by Pace.
300m - 39.65 sec. OHIO RECORD by Pace with her win at Chicago on their 200m banked track!

U. of Michigan HS Invite
60m - 6.76 sec. by Jamier Averette-Brown (Wayne - fr) - The incredible freshmen moves to =#6 all-time Ohio with his win over the field in an
Ohio Frosh Record!
400m - 47.80 sec. by Mateo Medina (Elyria - Sr) - Medina moves to #3 on the all-time indoor 400m list on legal tracks with his win in Ann Arbor, behind only Justin Braun's (Westerville Central-2022) 46.21 and Chris Nelloms (Dayton Dunbar-1990) 47.13 bests, respectively.

Hi-lights of yesterday's Jackets' Holiday Indoor @ Mount Vernon:

Correction: Eric Pugh (Huber Heights Wayne - Jr) ups his best 4" in becoming the 26th Ohio boy over 16 feet in the pole vault with his 16' 0" win. Pugh now stands in an 8-way tie for #18 all-time. This broke his own school record of 15' 8" from the Midwest High Performance meet @ Indiana Tech on 9 December. That 15' 8" record broke a LONG-STANDING school record of 15' 6" set in 1975 by Ohio's first ever outdoor 16-footer, Les West! West's 15' 6" indoor best stood as the Ohio indoor record until 1982 when I witnessed Twin Valley North great, Matt Vermillion, clear 15' 7" at the old Quad States meet in Bloomington, IN on 20 February 1982. Vermillion went on to become Ohio's 2nd outdoor 16-footer, and the first indoor 16-footer in an early March '82 meet @ Bloomington.

Elijah Harris (Westerville Central - So) moves to #20 all-time indoors with his 45 ft even triple jump.

Brandt & Dillon Morlock (Creston Norwayne - Jr & Sr) - Teamed-up for a 1-2 finish at 66' 8" & 65' 10", respectively.

Katie McFarland (Sidney Lehman Catholic - Sr) becomes the first Ohio girl of the 2024 campaign to clear 12 feet in the pole vault.
What is fun about Eric’s record is that I am his coach, who was coached by the man who coached Les West and Matt Vermillion. Same lineage, same philosophy, Ralph West was way ahead of his time.

What is fun about Eric’s record is that I am his coach, who was coached by the man who coached Les West and Matt Vermillion. Same lineage, same philosophy, Ralph West was way ahead of his time.
Wonderful storyline there! I knew Matt & his father, Dr. Vermillion, back in the day through summer competitions. I later managed my one and only defeat of Matt in college....because he no-highted! ha ha

I have my own photos of Matt & Les from back then.