2022 Regional All Stars

In D1 North, not a single player that made 1st team is a senior, and only 2 on 2nd team. Will be interesting to see how Ed, Ignatius, and Hudson stack up with the rest of the state next year. Could the North become the 2nd best region?

In D1 South, more juniors (4) made 1st team than seniors (3). Pretty much what we all knew, Elder was expected to be the top team and very senior heavy. X, Moeller, and Walnut all just behind but with some exceptional younger talents.

Congrats to all individuals who were recognized

This is my first team all state for D2. I’m interested if I am missing anyone on this list. I think it’s clear that D2 West has the most talent overall.

Nick Bennison, Micheal Bowler, Eli Halverson, James Darnieder, Reese Monnin, Andy Kohnen, Sam Richardson

I disagree, as you could make a case for D1 south to all be 1st team All State. It would be fun for the 1st teams of every region to play each other. Maybe add 2-4 guys from the second team for different positional needs.

Last edited:
I disagree, as you could make a case for D1 south to all be 1st team All State. It would be fun for the 1st teams of every region to play each other. Maybe add 2-4 guys from the second team for different positional needs.
I believe they are specifically talking about just the D2 regions, not D1 also. I think. If I am wrong and they are talking about D1 and D2 then u are correct. D1 is much stronger.

I believe they are specifically talking about just the D2 regions, not D1 also. I think. If I am wrong and they are talking about D1 and D2 then u are correct. D1 is much stronger.
Sorry, yes I was just talking about D2. South is definitely the best region in D1. West is the best in D2. D1 is much better than D2.

A
Sorry, yes I was just talking about D2. South is definitely the best region in D1. West is the best in D2. D1 is much better than D2.
Are you talking about individual players or teams? D2 has actually had some very nice results vs top D1 teams this year outside of the Big 3 (Elder, X, Moe).

A

Are you talking about individual players or teams? D2 has actually had some very nice results vs top D1 teams this year outside of the Big 3 (Elder, X, Moe).
I would say players and teams. Walnut, X, Elder, and Moe are, in my opinion, the 4 best teams in the state.

Did Walnut only play 12 matches?

They beat LaSalle in straight sets, aside from that they didn't play any high level D2 teams.

D2 has the following wins over D1(not sure the injury statuses during these matches):

Alter over Beavercreek (#2 D1 West) 3-1
Carroll over Centerville (#1 D1 West) 3-0
LaSalle over Centerville, 3-1
St. Charles over Beavercreek 3-0
DeSales over Olentangy Liberty (#1 in D1 East) 3-0
Worthington Kilbourne over Thomas Worthington (#2 D1 East) 3-2

D1 South is as obviously strong as always(and may have one of the best teams in state history in Elder 2022), but D2 has held their own vs the other D1 regions.

Did Walnut only play 12 matches?

They beat LaSalle in straight sets, aside from that they didn't play any high level D2 teams.

D2 has the following wins over D1(not sure the injury statuses during these matches):

Alter over Beavercreek (#2 D1 West) 3-1
Carroll over Centerville (#1 D1 West) 3-0
LaSalle over Centerville, 3-1
St. Charles over Beavercreek 3-0
DeSales over Olentangy Liberty (#1 in D1 East) 3-0
Worthington Kilbourne over Thomas Worthington (#2 D1 East) 3-2

D1 South is as obviously strong as always(and may have one of the best teams in state history in Elder 2022), but D2 has held their own vs the other D1 regions.
There is one match on OHSBVA without a result, plus Walnut played two out of state matches at Moeller. So, that's at least 15 but still that's not much, and I agree. Would have been good to see them play a CGL Co-Ed team or two

Another poster said Walnut's coach didn't send in stats for the all state voting, so many voters/coaches probably skipped Walnut players since they didn't have stats. Also helps explain how Wheatley fell to 2nd team all state.
You've also got to remember, just because the South had 4 of the top 5-6 teams, they're not going to load it up with all South Players. The other 4 Region POY winners take 4 of the 7 spots. Bianco and Patterson took 2 of the other 3 available spots. I'm sure there is an argument to be made for Wheatley over either Bianco or Patterson however it appears they made the right call as both Elder and Moeller received higher seeds than Walnut in the region, as well as both still playing this weekend, granted I know Walnut had that tough injury involving their setter against St X in the Regional Semifinal.