“Athletic Period” During School Day

It should be, unfortunately gym class is almost non-existent in a lot of high schools these days
Yeah, my oldest daughter got out of it by taking a week long summer gym class. By the time my youngest went through, marching band counted as gym class.

If I was the dictator-for-a-day, I'd make every kid be in 1 period of Real phys. ed each day, as well as 1 fine arts class a day. If you can tell me it's important for juniors in high school to dissect Shakespeare and understand haiku's then you can easily make the argument that every kid needs a break for physical activity and art or music every day

If I was the dictator-for-a-day, I'd make every kid be in 1 period of Real phys. ed each day, as well as 1 fine arts class a day. If you can tell me it's important for juniors in high school to dissect Shakespeare and understand haiku's then you can easily make the argument that every kid needs a break for physical activity and art or music every day
I can get behind the Phys Ed, assuming a variety of different activities are offered. But not sure you need to require 4 years of fine arts/music. Some kids just do not enjoy those.

Last edited:
I can get behind the Phys Ed, assuming a variety of different activities are offered. But not sure you need to require 4 years of fine arts/music. Some kids just do not enjoy those.
To each their own. IMO kids would get a lot more benefit from 4 years of fine arts or music than they do from some of the other things we make them take every year

When I graduated junior high it was one of the happiest days of my life, as I knew I never had to take another art or music class as long as I lived.

The current state graduation requirements for fine/performing arts and physical education are more than sufficient, in my opinion. DEW keeps adding more to those requirements, so the state bill that allows PE class exemptions for athletics, marching band, cheer, and show choir is key in freeing up student schedules to take everything else that they have (or want) to do.

Last edited:
Most/Some prep schools have have an "athletic period". I've worked at a big time prep school and we had a 90-minute, Block-schedule so an "athletic period" was built into the schedule every Tuesday and Thursday. The school day went on as normal for years and it was not "gym class" or free time". Most schools have 11 or more sports teams and at least 5 per season so the "athletic period" was a regular practice during school hours. Having a "athletic period" freed up the gym for other teams after school and there was no struggle for gym space or practice time.